What happens with old AT&T email

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Link » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:46 pm
I'm asking this for a friend who I'm trying to get to switch to Fusion from AT&T DSL. Unfortunately, she has an sbcglobal.net email address and is concerned about whether that address will be functional after she transitions to Fusion. Can AT&T set up forwarding to a GMail or other account so she doesn't have to notify tons of people and update a bunch of web accounts? Since she'd be dumping them, they don't have a lot of incentive to help her out.

This isn't strictly a Fusion issue, just a practical consideration of switching.
by paulbarwick » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm
When I left AT&T I got an email from them telling me that as a service to me they were letting me keep my @ATT.net email account at no charge. It still functions as it always has.
by virtualmike » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:49 am
I try to convince all my friends to separate their "permanent" email addresses from their ISPs, just so they don't run into this type of problem.

I'm tired of receiving "my address has changed..." emails (usually sent to 75 people, with all addresses on the "To:" line). [Why isn't use of BCC part of Email 101?]
by thulsa_doom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:12 pm
virtualmike wrote:I try to convince all my friends to separate their "permanent" email addresses from their ISPs, just so they don't run into this type of problem.
Just stick with Sonic.net forever and this isn't a problem.
virtualmike wrote:I'm tired of receiving "my address has changed..." emails (usually sent to 75 people, with all addresses on the "To:" line). [Why isn't use of BCC part of Email 101?]
This is just about the only legitimate use of BCC that I see in my personal mail. I've been sorely tempted in the past to simply filter out anything that wasn't explicitly directed to me by "to" or "cc."
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by virtualmike » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 pm
thulsa_doom wrote:Just stick with Sonic.net forever and this isn't a problem.
That's the plan. And I'm trying to get as many as possible of my friends and neighbors to change TO Sonic.net.

However, some of my friends and family live outside of areas serviced by Sonic.net, and moving isn't an option for them.

I first got my own domain ~15 years ago, so that I would never be dependent upon an ISP or specific mail service. When I ran into problems with a hosting company, I could move easily (and did more than once).

I only wish I'd been able to get service from Sonic.net earlier... it would have saved a bunch of stress!
thulsa_doom wrote:This is just about the only legitimate use of BCC that I see in my personal mail. I've been sorely tempted in the past to simply filter out anything that wasn't explicitly directed to me by "to" or "cc."
Agreed, although my spouse and I will BCC each other for a heads-up when we don't want to expose the other's address to a correspondent.

I used to use BCC a lot more at work, typically so my boss, legal, HR, etc. can be aware of correspondence. Until one day, when one of those parties "replied all" to such a message and blew the cover. Now, I just forward the message from my "Sent" folder.
by Jernewm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 pm
The simple answer is when you move to gmail or sonic.net, etc., you still can access mail from ATT. When I moved to Sonic and wanted to leave my AT&T account (sbcglobal.net) ATT told me I would keep my sbcglobal for 2 months. After three months of still getting my mail from the old address I checked and they said they allowed people to keep their old address forever. To get that mail to your new accound just find where they talk about forwarding email (through a POP address) and your old mail will continue to be sent to you throughout this life and any others, but only iif there is reincarnation.

As far as changing your email address with those who email you, prepare for them to repeatedly forget that you changed your email address after you send them the automated message. Email addresses often fill in automatically and it will be your old address that fills in until they delete the old and add the new. And for some listserves you're on, you have to unsubscribe and then resubscribe. It's a real pain, but worth it.

Good luck.
by tjj » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm
Another great option that most people don't think about is getting their own domain name so they can point their e-mail address to whatever account they have at the time. You can have you@yourdomain.com forward to you@sonic.net, switch ISPs, update to forward to you@gmail.com, etc.

I see this was discussed above, but we provide the service to do it. You can sign up for a domain ($9.95 a year) then get the DNS service for $1.95 a month and never have to change your e-mail address again! Then you don't have to worry about people having the correct address book entry, or unsubscribing and resubscribing to mailing lists, etc.

Here is a link for more information: http://www.sonic.net/sales/hosting/dns-info.shtml
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by dane » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:20 pm
Tage, an even better deal here is our Personal Web Hosting. Free domain registration for the first year, plus free DNS and website hosting for as long as you're an Internet access customer. It's a $5.95/mo value, included with all of our broadband access accounts.

Then if you ever DID want to leave Sonic.net, you could retain hosting and perhaps some mailboxes here. Or, take the domain somewhere else, if you really want to kick sand in our face. :)

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tjj » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 pm
Dane-
Of course! I should have remembered that! Thank you for reminding me!
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
9 posts Page 1 of 1