New member tools suggestion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by bbusby » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:58 am
Greetings:

As a hard-core fiddler, it occurred to me that much of my interaction with tech support is spent trying things like Annex M vs. A or changing speed cap values or target margins to squeeze out every megabit of unfettered Fusion goodness. How about a tool that would permit users to fiddle these values themselves?

To avoid the "oh crud, now I can't sync anymore and change my settings back" problem, just do as Windows does with display properties -- if you don't get back to the tool to accept the new changes within a timeout period (e.g., five minutes), the line settings revert and no harm done.

From many of the discussions here, it sounds like a fair number of knowledgeable fiddlers in the community and this would free tech support from having to deal with us... saving them headaches, users long queues and the organization money.
by kgc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 am
bbusby wrote: As a hard-core fiddler, it occurred to me that much of my interaction with tech support is spent trying things like Annex M vs. A or changing speed cap values or target margins to squeeze out every megabit of unfettered Fusion goodness. How about a tool that would permit users to fiddle these values themselves?
It is in the works and will actually be managed through an IVR and, later, a mobile app.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by Guest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 am
That's pretty cool. Post when it's out and I'll be one of the first to try it!
by dane » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:22 pm
Please don't phone support repeatedly in an attempt to guess better settings than the DSL chipsets negotiate. Support time is a huge cost, and is reflected in rates, so please don't abuse it.

As Kelsey notes, we will have Annex A/M toggle shortly.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1