Multicast/M-Bone access for Fusion subscribers?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by markfernandes » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:07 pm
Hi, there is a DSL Reports thread back from 2001 about M-Bone access for DSL subscribers: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r132192 ... -available

Is there any such access for Fusion members? And would it be IPv4 and/or IPv6?

Thanks!
by kgc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 am
No, there are no plans at this time to enable Multicast/M-Bone access on the fusion network.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dane » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:08 pm
Is there actually any content available on mbone these days? Seems like it effectively died many years ago.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by markfernandes » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Honestly, there is not any content, I just started browsing SAP announcements with VLC at my university and it just seemed like such a good idea. It is absurd that the Curiosity Rover landing has to be unicast to thousands when there is a much more efficient method. Obviously some ISPs don't like multicast because it increases complexity when billing for data. Perhaps there will be a revival one day... :D
by kgc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:58 pm
I think it was more a classic chicken and egg problem. There was no widespread support for it at the edge (I don't know of a single other US ISP that supported multicast/mbone at all) and there wasn't interesting content because of it and since there was no interesting content... Waaay back, we had a satellite downlinked multicast services on our network that carried a few TV and radio channels. We also had access to the BBC's multicast test system which was awesome while it lasted.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
5 posts Page 1 of 1