Fiber in North Oakland/Longfellow/Temescal

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
47 posts Page 3 of 5
by johio » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 am
No luck for me yet... At least I can plausibly tell myself there's light at the end of the tunnel!
by heiji1015 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:14 am
Bronco just worked on the spools they had on the poles on 65th Street east of San Pablo. One person on the crew had a Sonic hard hat on. Another Sonic pickup was a block or two behind. I guess he was walking and checking the work.

Great friendly crew. They had to block my driveway for a couple of minutes. So my daughter and I watched them until they were done.

So its getting there in North Oakland.
by lasevich » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:23 pm
So, as someone on the other side of the tracks in Temescal - are there any indication as to which North Oakland areas are getting hit next?
by heiji1015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:47 am
I just got an email saying that I could upgrade to fiber. So I now have an appointment for early November.
by lasevich » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am
heiji1015 wrote:I just got an email saying that I could upgrade to fiber. So I now have an appointment for early November.
Where are you?
by pmsaunders » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:03 am
heiji1015 wrote:I just got an email saying that I could upgrade to fiber. So I now have an appointment for early November.
Please do post your location! I for one really hope it's reaching down my way.
by heiji1015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:53 am
My location is a couple of posts up in this thread. :)
65th Street just east of San Pablo Avenue.
by eraguso » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:19 am
I just happened to call the other day for something else and the tech said fiber was already available in Longfellow. He signed me up. I got the email saying scheduling info would follow, but I'm still waiting for that. Odd that they haven't alerted us to availability yet but maybe they're just trying to do a sort of soft launch. I saw another post on this string referencing a November appointment from someone who had signed up awhile back, I think... so it seems scheduling may already be backed up.

I also saw a post about someone getting charged for DSL + fiber once he got fiber installed -- he said we have to specifically cancel DSL with Sonic if we don't want this to happen... but I haven't seen anything like that from Sonic so I'm not sure how that works. Would be interested in what others have experienced.
by dane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:55 pm
eraguso wrote:I also saw a post about someone getting charged for DSL + fiber once he got fiber installed -- he said we have to specifically cancel DSL with Sonic if we don't want this to happen... but I haven't seen anything like that from Sonic so I'm not sure how that works. Would be interested in what others have experienced.
If you have Fusion service, the migration to Fiber is seamless, both for porting over your telephone number and for disconnection and pro-rated billing.

But for IP Broadband (our resold AT&T uverse service), we do not yet have migrations automated. We've got relatively few customers in that situation, but the team is working on the software to give the same level of mechanization and to avoid duplicate billing.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by espier » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:33 am
Just closing the loop on this: at long last, our fiber service was installed yesterday! The two installers, Ryan and Scotty, were friendly and helpful. It took about two hours from beginning to end. It's been over a year since the original estimated rollout but it was worth the wait. Thanks again to all of the folks involved in making this project happen – I'll continue to evangelize Sonic to anyone who will listen :)
47 posts Page 3 of 5