Fiber in North Oakland/Longfellow/Temescal

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
47 posts Page 4 of 5
by pmsaunders » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am
Good for you! I eagerly await being able to share your joy; we're ~10 blocks from you and don't even have an estimate yet.
by dane » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:35 pm
pmsaunders wrote:Good for you! I eagerly await being able to share your joy; we're ~10 blocks from you and don't even have an estimate yet.
I checked your site in our GIS, and it appears you've got aerial utilities but that they are isolated by undergrounding at the end of your street. That'll be a challenge, because today Oakland doesn't have a good regulatory framework for new underground utility construction. FYI!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Kidhack » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:55 pm
Any chance your coming to Temescal/ 45th st & Webster?
by sonicthehedgehog » Wed May 13, 2020 2:40 pm
to piggyback on kidhack, it seems like either sonic's own fiber or ATT fiber is available on most streets in temescal now, but with a few small blindspots -- like 45th st, parts of webster and some other streets.

do you have any idea of when those holes might get filled in?

thanks!
by dane » Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 pm
sonicthehedgehog wrote:to piggyback on kidhack, it seems like either sonic's own fiber or ATT fiber is available on most streets in temescal now, but with a few small blindspots -- like 45th st, parts of webster and some other streets.

do you have any idea of when those holes might get filled in?

thanks!
Today in that region we are focused on the delivery to the public schools, then as that completes we'll be building out to homes nearby. So you're seeing a lot of Sonic construction, but it's all backbone and anchor tenant work, not yet consumer distribution.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by BeeCee » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:22 am
Thanks, Dane, as always for staying attentive to your customers. There's so much about your company you're doing right. I'm also thrilled you are prioritizing getting schools wired. I'm a very satisfied fiber customer in the top of North Oakland (and formerly Santa Rosa) moving to the bottom of North Oakland/Mosswood. Doesn't seem residential fiber is available there yet, and so I'll sadly be leaving Sonic until we meet again. Can't really depend on DSL with two of us working from home and heavy video requirements, so dreading signing up with CriminalCast or Ma Bell.

Anyone have intel on the Mosswood area? I found a master plan for Oakland from some years ago suggesting a trunk going down Broadway, but I understand there's much more to it than proximity.
by tom » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:00 pm
There is what appears to be Sonic fiber on the poles on most of the residential streets around Broadway and Piedmont Avenue. Not sure whether it crosses Macarthur.

The availability tool still doesn't show gigabit as available for residential addresses in those areas. Waiting patiently!
by dane » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:01 pm
tom wrote:There is what appears to be Sonic fiber on the poles on most of the residential streets around Broadway and Piedmont Avenue. Not sure whether it crosses Macarthur.

The availability tool still doesn't show gigabit as available for residential addresses in those areas. Waiting patiently!
Yes, construction is making good progress in Oakland, with much of the backbone built and more and more schools being connected. We're also working on the residential segments, particularly in the Northern portion of Oakland now, then continuing to the south in the coming six to twelve months.

These projects are a long process, and we're not quite ready to open that region for pre-orders, but we'll get there! Exciting times.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by BeeCee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Thank you, Dane! I sincerely appreciate your response and you connecting Oakland with reliable and honest service.
by fiberless in Oakland » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:38 pm
I live on Martin Luther King by 44th. I can see fiber availability for ATT & Sonic on 44th right on the corner, but no one seems close to providing service on MLK.

Is Sonic planning on providing service on my part of MLK, or should I look for other options?
47 posts Page 4 of 5