Fiber in North Oakland/Longfellow/Temescal

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
47 posts Page 2 of 5
by pmsaunders » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 am
So what are the boundaries of Area 9B? Any updates on access further downtown (Broadway/I-580/Harrison/27th)? We're getting SO frustrated with DSL overload/unable to stream TV/OS updates taking six hours to download that we're about to give up on the dream of Sonic fiber and go to the dark side.
by bibihome » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 am
To confirm other posts here, fiber belonging to Sonic (as can be read on the orange labels on the cables) has been pulled along Dover st and is forking in all side streets at least between 53rd and 58th, from what I could see with my own eyes, trying not to bump into a pole while following the cables.

I hope that the 4-6 weeks timeline until connection as suggested in an earlier post will prove true!
by evilmike » Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 am
How are y'all getting these updates? I'm in Temescal and even though I'm less than 2000 ft from the CO, my speeds are much less than I had hoped (20Mbps with the two lines bonded) and when I've asked Support for information on Gigabit, they've had nothing to say.
by espier » Mon May 13, 2019 11:48 am
evilmike wrote:How are y'all getting these updates?
The only updates I've received have been monthly emails in early January, March, April, and May with the subject line "Sonic Fiber Construction: [month] Update." I'm a Fusion subscriber.
by dreww » Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 pm
just wanted to bump this because somebody else got a response on another north oakland thread (full disclosure, the OP is my roommate).
by espier » Thu May 30, 2019 4:29 pm
I've been seeing EDTec trucks working on the poles along Market – is this a Sonic contractor?

Today, a truck was at 35th & Market but I saw one a couple of weeks ago in the 40s as well.
by kelliot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:43 am
I just saw a Sonic truck working on the corner of 40th and Market! Hope that means Lusk Street is getting this soon!!
by espier » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:11 pm
On a whim, I just logged into Member Tools and tried the Upgrade Service option...much to my surprise, it offered a Fiber upgrade! I clicked through the order sequence and got a confirmation email so it seems like it may very well be legit.

Anyone else in the neighborhood have a similar experience?
by johio » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:27 pm
No luck on my end: where did you see the option to upgrade service?

I've seen a bunch of trucks right around the intersection of 40th/West, and the fiber has already run on my street, so I'm getting pretty antsy to get service scheduled!
by espier » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:52 pm
johio wrote:No luck on my end: where did you see the option to upgrade service?
I logged into members.sonic.net and clicked Internet Connections > Upgrade or Downgrade Service. Here's a direct link.

When the page loaded, instead of a notification that Fiber is "coming soon," there was an option to click to upgrade. I was then asked if I want eero equipment, I provided my contact info, and then I confirmed the order. It was pretty self-explanatory.

I'm just a few houses down 40th from West, so maybe my block was activated first. If it's happening for me, I'm sure it won't be long for you!
47 posts Page 2 of 5