Moving my modem to another floor

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by JackC » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:20 pm
Currently, I have the router and modem installed on the second floor where they're hardwired to 2 computers. I have 1 computer downstairs which is using an adapter that connects through wifi. Essentially I am going to move downstairs to the 1st floor, so I want the 2 computers to be hardwired and the 1 computer on the second floor to connect to the wifi(unless you guys have a suggestion to hard wire it as well. I was wondering how would I go about it because I think there are some wires that have been installed by sonic on the other side of the wall where the modem and router currently are ( the second floor). Do I need to have someone come to change it or do i have to order a whole separate thing for the 1st floor? Sorry if my wording is great, I'm not too tech savy.
by miken » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 pm
I would try connecting your modem to the jack downstairs and see what happens. Specifically, you want to keep an eye on the Broadband lights. If it doesn't work when moved, you can just reconnect it upstairs and give us a call and we can see if it would be possible to get the second jack working.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:47 pm
Depends if it's DSL or Fiber.
DSL is easier, just be sure to keep a DSL filter at every jack in the house, even after the move.
Probably any jack in the house will work.
3 posts Page 1 of 1