Link balancing/failover (and ipv6 oh my?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by rnovak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:36 pm
Hi folks,

Pondering two semi-related tasks and I wonder if any other Sonic users have undertaken these efforts.

Backing story, I have Comcast HSI and Sonic.net Fusion bonded service at home. Very similar up/down speeds and latency. For the last year or so I've had everything at home on Sonic going through a Linksys WRT600N router, and the cablemodem going into a Cradlepoint MBR1200 that I could switch to if I "had" to (i.e. doing Windows updates and Fedora updates at the same time :) ).

I finally decided to "merge" them with an old Linksys RV042 dual WAN router, export the wireless functionality to a pair of dedicated access points, and run the risk of random connectivity getting 50 megabits of download rate.

I'm wondering:

1) Has anyone else done a load/link balancing layout like this, what did you use, and what did you learn?

(My best "learning" has been to use the same DNS for both links, or you get really weird behavior from behind the balancer. I'm using OpenDNS at the moment. I suppose dns proxy on the router would work too. Or specific routing to each provider's DNS through that link.)

2) One reason I'm inclined to jettison the RV042 and the MBR1200 eventually is that neither is likely to ever support IPv6. Have any of you done any load balancing, or even basic routing, for IPv6 at home? What did you use?

I'd be looking at native IPv6 on Comcast (I can haz), and (for now) Sonic ipv6 tunneling, until they come out with native IPv6. So something that handles both would be great.

Thanks for any feedback you folks can provide.
1 post Page 1 of 1