Required Modem--Extra 16.3% - 32.5% Per Month?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
143 posts Page 4 of 15
by D. Parting » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 am
dane wrote:If we embed the cost of the equipment into the price of service, various taxes attach, which drives up overall cost for customers. This is one of the reasons that all the major service providers now separate the cost of equipment as a monthly fee.
You embed unwanted voice service in Fusion, which attaches $10+ in taxes.
by dane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am
D. Parting wrote:
dane wrote:If we embed the cost of the equipment into the price of service, various taxes attach, which drives up overall cost for customers. This is one of the reasons that all the major service providers now separate the cost of equipment as a monthly fee.
Fusion is a "one size fits many" solution, and it won't always be the ideal fit for every potential customer. But for those who find it's features (including voice, free international calls, website and domain name, usenet and shell, etc) useful, it's an astounding value.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 am
dane wrote:
D. Parting wrote:
Fusion is a "one size fits many" solution, and it won't always be the ideal fit for every potential customer. But for those who find it's features (including voice, free international calls, website and domain name, usenet and shell, etc) useful, it's an astounding value.
I would love to see Sonic.net offer an Internet-only service at a cheaper price than AT&T U-verse. I don't need the phone service features either; I can use my cell phone for my local and long distance calls.
by cataha » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:54 pm
i agree with that too,
"One size fits all" package deal
GAMERS package deal
Internet Only deal
by dane » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:04 pm
cataha wrote:i agree with that too,
"One size fits all" package deal
GAMERS package deal
Internet Only deal
We used to offer many levels of service - five speed tiers, additional pricing for static IP, business pricing, single and dual line offerings. In total, there were forty different unique configurations and prices.

At the entry level was 1.5Mbps standalone service, without voice, for $35. We couldn't cover costs at that rate, so we added voice (which has virtually no cost for us) and increased the speed to the full uncapped rate, and set the price at $39.95.

Because delivering more speed has no real cost for us, we want to deliver the full speed and value, at the lowest possible price at which we can run the network.

This is fundamentally why there is only one product. The cost of delivering service is the loop and the network equipment - features are basically without cost, so we include them all.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:51 pm
dane wrote:The cost of delivering service is the loop and the network equipment - features are basically without cost, so we include them all.
It's so interesting that AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, their predecessors, and others of their ilk still look at the features as profit centers.

And that people continue to pay for them.
by cataha » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 pm
dane wrote: We used to offer many levels of service - five speed tiers, additional pricing for static IP, business pricing, single and dual line offerings. In total, there were forty different unique configurations and prices.

At the entry level was 1.5Mbps standalone service, without voice, for $35. We couldn't cover costs at that rate, so we added voice (which has virtually no cost for us) and increased the speed to the full uncapped rate, and set the price at $39.95.

Because delivering more speed has no real cost for us, we want to deliver the full speed and value, at the lowest possible price at which we can run the network.

This is fundamentally why there is only one product. The cost of delivering service is the loop and the network equipment - features are basically without cost, so we include them all.
Let me ask you this, i know somebody already have or maybe asked before me but any way
How is it that you can and able to provide 20$ a service for a first year and then it goes almost 40$?
(i fully understand the principle for a big companies due to contract changes but not for a smaller companies)

Say if i would go away and decide to come back, i'll have to pay 6$ renting fee despite the fact that i have a few modems laying around (since fiber it too much for spread out continent, although i can see it out my front window but i can not have it - it reminds me of a bible story)

I remember the days of 14.4K for 20-25$(that was fine by me, it was something new cool and so on) a month but now with a gigs left and right and so i would think that DSL line would be much cheaper since now you are at a L2, which should somewhat eliminate unnecessary overhead but it somewhat turnout to be deferent.
Also from what i hear is that major L1 and supporting companies are laying off permanent workers and hiring contractors to eliminate cost but yet the cost are keep on getting higher and higher

Also since you are in somewhat a political arena now a days, do you hear of any internet content commercial tax's rolling out?
Cause i'm personally getting tired of parasitic organisms taking over internet for past 2 years now
by klui » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:03 pm
virtualmike wrote:It's so interesting that AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, their predecessors, and others of their ilk still look at the features as profit centers.

And that people continue to pay for them.
Most people have no choice when they only have one telco, one satellite, and one cable company in their area instead of true competition. That's why they continue using these providers. And if you're a provider that basically has no competitors in terms of price, you can dictate where you can gouge your customers--by tiering serivce, bandwidth caps, charging extra for internet-only service, nickle and dime them.
by klui » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:10 pm
cataha wrote:Let me ask you this, i know somebody already have or maybe asked before me but any way
How is it that you can and able to provide 20$ a service for a first year and then it goes almost 40$?
Dane has posted this before. Sonic will lose more money if they continue to offer the service at the introductory rate. The initial rate is there to show what kinds of service customers can get and hope people will stay.
by Guest » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm
klui wrote:
cataha wrote:Let me ask you this, i know somebody already have or maybe asked before me but any way
Dane has posted this before. Sonic will lose more money if they continue to offer the service at the introductory rate. The initial rate is there to show what kinds of service customers can get and hope people will stay.
AT&T DSL resellers often offer 1st year teaser rates - Sonic, Dslextreme, etc. - otherwise you'd probably buy AT&T DSL or U-verse.
I think Dane mentioned that they lose money in the 1st year. You can find old discussions on this topic both here and at Dslreports.
Fusion ADSL2+ and Fusion fiber are more profitable for Sonic.
143 posts Page 4 of 15