Webmail and IMAP both appear to be down

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by rrichard » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Starting roughly 12:15pm Saturday, Webmail says "Message loading failed - Please check the remote mail-server is responding correctly, remote mail-server online, no network timeouts, authentication error or mailbox lock." My desktop email client can't access (via IMAP) my mailbox either. The blog post on today's email upgrades seems to suggest there wouldn't be any service interruptions. Do you have any idea when service will be restored? Thanks!
by schwarcz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:46 pm
I am also seeing IMAP down at 12:46pm
by wa2ibm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:28 pm
Probably related to the upgrades they're doing today: http://corp.sonic.net/status/2012/08/24 ... -upgrades/
by rrichard » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:32 pm
Definitely related to the upgrades announced yesterday. What I need is an ETA for resumption of service, and I need it badly. Without an ETA, I can't manage my time.
by bushnell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:19 pm
I cannot connect to IMAP using Apple Mail. Other clients seem to work (K9, pine, Thunderbird). I have changed nothing in the configuration which was set up according to Sonic.net's online documentation. Any suggestions for getting Apple Mail working again?
by kgc » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:16 pm
Sorry for not checking in for any reports sooner. At this time everything should be working 100% on the new cluster. If you can't connect at all try restarting your client/computer. At this point, the most likely cause for this is a DNS server that hasn't updated (despite having a very low ttl) or a client that only resolves the hostname when it initially starts up.

Overall, the upgrade went relatively smoothly from our perspective despite some periods where we had to get our configuration dialed in for real world load on the new servers.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by bushnell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:29 pm
I've restarted Apple Mail several times without luck. I even logged out and rebooted the computer. Still no connection. My web browser works fine.
by kgc » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:16 pm
Well, first, don't hesitate to call support and see if they can help. I'd suspect a DNS problem or perhaps for some reason that your mail client got configured with an IP address? You can test for a possible DNS issue by running 'dig imap.sonic.net' or 'dig pop.sonic.net' on the command prompt. Both should resolve to 69.12.218.40.
Kelsey Cummings
by bushnell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:21 pm
Both commands resolve to 69.12.218.40. I haven't had time to sit down and call support until now. Thanks for your help on the forum.
by kgc » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:33 pm
No problem, I'm happy to help. Can you clarify what the exact problem is? It looks like your account is logging in okay. If you seem to be missing email, you could try 'rebuilding' the account - thunderbird allows you to 'repair' a folder when it stops syncing correctly with it's IMAP server. Apple Mail probably has a similar function but I'm not sure how to get at it. (CTRL-Click on the folder?)
Kelsey Cummings
13 posts Page 1 of 2