Recommendations for back-up modems

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by timoteo7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:10 pm
I'm interested in buying a back-up modem that can be used with my single line Fusion broadband service. Can anyone recommend a make and model?

If the modem you recommend would require configuration to be used with Sonic, I'll be grateful if you can post configuration information, too.

I should add: I posted about this over a year ago, but that was when Sonic still sold back-up modems. I gather that Sonic no longer does, and the back-up I purchased from Sonic then is now online. I'd like another!
by mwedel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:44 pm
Are you looking for a permanent replacement in case of failure, or something that holds you by until you get a replacement from sonic?

If just a temporary replacement, look at the thrift stores for ADSL 1 modems - can get one for probably $5, and that will still work with ADSL 2+, and gives you something that works until you get a replacement (that is what I recently did)

My permanent replacement was a zoom X5 *5754)form Amazon - a little less than $50. This is a modem + 4 port switch, but does not have wireless. The old ZTE modem just provided one port - since I seem to be getting more and more devices that can be plugged in, the additional ports are nice. And of course, the modem does firewall and all the typical router duties. Setup wasn't any real problem - just make sure you set for bridge modem (not PPPoE).

If your current modem provides wireless, you would need to look at modems that provide that. If you don't need the modem to include a 4 port switch, there are cheaper devices that only provide a single outgoing port.
by dane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:48 pm
Sonic.net now offers rental equipment for DSL and Fusion, which has the big benefit that if there is any trouble with the equipment, we simply swap it at no expense to you. You can use the Member Tools http://members.sonic.net/ (in the section under "Internet Connections") to select this option at any time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by timoteo7 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 am
Thanks to you both for your responses. It's a wired modem. I found the Zoom X5 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Ethernet-Mod ... m+X5+*5754

... and it's a candidate. If anyone else has feedback, though, I'm very interested! I would strongly prefer to pay more now for a modem that will last, rather than for one likely to die after a year.

Dane, I'd prefer not to lease a modem, for two reasons. First, price. I gather that the cost is an additional $6.50 a month. That comes to $78 a year. Second, potential downtime. With a back-up modem on hand, I've got something available for quick troubleshooting, and can swap out the malfunctioning part and be back online again within minutes. Even if Sonic sends me a replacement for a malfunctioning leased modem by FedEx overnight, I would be offline for a full day while waiting to receive it.
by wifi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 am
you can also search for 'adsl2+' at frys.com and 'sort by price' Low to High
one port modem/routers for $17, $30, etc
by dummy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:19 am
In order to have a backup of my Broadmax Linkmax HSA 300A-304 modem that came with my original Sonic.NET service, I bought a Zoom 5715 Adsl Modem. It does not work. When I upgraded to Fusion, I was offered a ZTE ADSL2 modem, which also did not work.

I.e., it seems that ADSL2-based modems do not work at my home.

Is there a reserve DSL modem which I could buy which might work?
by rnovak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm
I have a Netgear DGN1000 router/modem that was $15 on one of the deal sites a month ago. I haven't tried it yet but it is listed on the Sonic.net wiki: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Netgear_DGN1000_PPPoE

Others are listed at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Category:DSL_Modem ... and there's a chart at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/DSL_Modem_PPPoE_Chart

I can assert that the Juniper SSG20 with ADSL2 WIC works very well with single line Fusion, as I have one on my store and the installer said it was one of the best links he'd seen. However, that's a bit pricy still -- about $300-400 on eBay. It does not work with bonded line Fusion, but if you want a rock-solid router with security features and such, it's one way to go.
by dummy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 am
It turns out that my Zoom modem does indeed work with Sonic.NET. I spent considerable time with a Sonic technician diagnosing and solving the problem with my connectivity. It seems magical what the Sonic person did, but things were tweaked enough so that ADSL2 modems (as mine is) can work. (Although, IIRC, he ended up forcing it to be ADSL1 protocol. Which is OK -- I'd rather have a slow, working connection than no connection at all.)

I'm happy that Sonic has come through again!
8 posts Page 1 of 1