Happy - better than ATT DSL

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by bkellar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 pm
I switched from ATT DSL to Sonic because I couldn't get reliable speed for streaming video like Netflix in the evenings. I guess ATT was either overloaded or throttling me. I got so sick of that "buffering" wheel! It's a bummer when you're halfway through a movie and it chokes.
Anyway, my speed with Sonic is almost 50% higher that ATT (when it was fully on), based on http://www.speedtest.net, and I haven't had to watch "buffering...please wait" in the middle of a show since. I'm in Mountain View, and my location is 6,374 wire feet from their local serving office, so I expected less than 20 Mbps. I just got 2.8 Mbps down and .85 Mbps up on speedtest. It's good enough for me.
The conversion was delayed from 8/8 to 8/15 due to the ATT strike, but the Sonic customer rep was right on it and followed through with me very courteously and professionally. Once ATT switched the wires, it worked fine the first time.
Thank you Sonic!
by itwong » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 pm
being 6.3K feet from CO will give you way higher speed than 2.8mbps down/.85mbps up. You should call support.
Mine is 7.7K feet from CO according to ATT and about 10K wire distance according to sonic.net. I get synced at 7.7-8.3Mbps down/1018kbps up which gives me average 6.4-7.1Mpbs down/0.7-0.85Mbps up.
by dane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:12 pm
Yes, this does seem quite slow for that distance. I'd suggest writing to support to ask them to look at your loop.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1