Number Port and Vonage Cancellation

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by jigen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:33 am
My phone number was ported to Sonic.net on July 25, but Vonage was still charging me as if they still had my number (I thought number porting instantly cancels your old service). Anyway, I call them to cancel and after the whole process the guy says they'll retain my number for 30 days. And I get this email from Vonage reaffirming that statement:
"We will retain your Vonage phone number for 30 days to 09/16/2012 in case you want to transfer it to another phone service provider. If you do not transfer the number within 30 days, it will no longer be available to you."
Does this mean Vonage still has my number, even though I got an email from Sonic.net that the LNP occurred on July 25? I just want to make sure Sonic has my number, since their statement seems odd.
by dane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:50 am
Is the number working as expected here?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jigen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:17 am
Yes, it's working properly on the Sonic line.

I told the guy it was already ported, but he says the number still shows on their end. Is it possible for two service providers to have a number at the same time?

Should I be worried?
by dane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 am
No, two carriers cannot have it at once. So yes, either they are wrong or we are. Here's how to tell: call the number from a carrier that is not associated such as Verizon or ATT mobile, and see if it works as expected on our network. If it does, Vonage hasn't properly processed the port, and their customers will not be able to call you. Contact them and escalate.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1