Pace 4111n - will it be required

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:10 pm
When the Pace 4111n and its $6.50 per month charge were first introduced, it sounded like they were optional. More and more, though, it's sounding as if they are, or will be, required. Can someone offer a definitive statement as to whether I'll be able to continue to use my own modem and router for as long as I desire?
by dane » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:48 pm
Guest wrote:When the Pace 4111n and its $6.50 per month charge were first introduced, it sounded like they were optional. More and more, though, it's sounding as if they are, or will be, required. Can someone offer a definitive statement as to whether I'll be able to continue to use my own modem and router for as long as I desire?
Yes, you can continue to use your own equipment.

Some features however may require updates to your equipment, or the use of ours. For example the gear you use today may not support IPv6 with 6RD. We will also be offering automatic configuration of static IPs via the Pace configuration server, and if you've got your own equipment, you would instead have to set it up manually. Finally, the Pace equipment is integrated with our support portal, so we can perform more extensive troubleshooting, which obviously if you are using your own equipment we wouldn't have. This may preclude some types of troubleshooting and trouble detection, for example the Pace unit will alert both you and us in the portal if you are missing a filter in the premises, whereas your own equipment will not.

You can certainly continue to do what you are doing now, there's no mandatory change.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Jason » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 am
Hi Dane,

I'm a potential customer coming from the godawful Comcast, so I'm not familiar with ADSL2+.

I'd like to purchase my own modem/router combination (as I'm assuming my regular wireless N router won't work) and just wanted to confirm that I should be looking at modems in this list:

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Modem_Reference

Is there a checklist of features that I need to look for if I want a modem not listed above to be compatible with Sonic.net?

Thanks!

-Jason
by dane » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 am
Jason wrote:Hi Dane,

I'm a potential customer coming from the godawful Comcast, so I'm not familiar with ADSL2+.

I'd like to purchase my own modem/router combination (as I'm assuming my regular wireless N router won't work) and just wanted to confirm that I should be looking at modems in this list:

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Modem_Reference

Is there a checklist of features that I need to look for if I want a modem not listed above to be compatible with Sonic.net?

Thanks!

-Jason
Jason,

When you sign up for service, a modem/router/firewall will be provided.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Jason » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:16 pm
Hi Dane,

Thanks for the quick response.

I'd rather not rent a modem/router monthly and just pay outright. I already have a wireless N router, so it looks like all I need is an ADSL2+ modem right?

I saw over on dslreports.com where you posted that you guys sell modems. How much is the Motorola 2210-02? From Amazon it's $70 shipped to me.

Thanks again..

-Jason
by parkerday » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:47 pm
Jason,

That's old information. Sonic no longer sells equipment. All new customers are required to lease equipment. So if you sign up for Sonic service, you'll be leasing a modem/router.
by minasian » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 pm
The Pace 4111N is a substandard device. It stands out like a sore thumb against the phenomenal customer service and dollar value I have been experiencing as a new customer who ran like hell from ATT.

I just connected my second 4111n which was shipped out after 90 minutes of tech support phone time.

I have had difficulty just simply connecting to the default route address with my laptop set up in DHCP mode, either in wireless or with a Cat 5 cable connected to the router.

When I do connect to the router, it refuses to accept the static IP WAN addresses I attempt to input. It takes forever to return a web page, and when it does, it almost always gives me an error.

Moreover, sometimes it asks for a password and sometimes it does not. this does not give me any feeling of reliability or security.

i just purchase four static IP's, but the device i'm paying $6.50 a month for is incapable of handling them. I seem to be caught foever in WAN DHCP mode.

Unacceptable, unofortunately.

The idea that Sonic feels okay charging me $6.50 per month - whether I use the device or not - is making me consider breaking up. It's just bad business and reflects poorly on the company. After all, if the company can't appreciate that, it's just a matter of time before they make other mistakes that critically effect the quality of service.

Michael Minasian, Berkeley
7 posts Page 1 of 1