Time to revisit the Modem Only option with the intro of Eero (and other mesh systems)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by fogpuppy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 am
Sonic,

It's time for you to revisit your modem choices and add support a "bare" modem like the D-Link DSL-520B or Netgear DM-200. Given the emergence of mesh WIFI technologies like the Eero supported by sonic and other (potentially better) technologies, the integrated WIFI support of the existing Sonic DSL modems is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. It would cost the customers less and would really simplify setup for people who want to use mesh technologies in general (or whatever comes next).

On additional point, this would make DSL setup consistent Fiber connectivity where the ONT being the equivalent of the base DSL modem.

Thoughts and comments ...
by fogpuppy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am
Oh and BTW time to also revisit the "bare" option with no phone line. I pretty much never use my phone line provided with my DSL anymore. My family all calls my cell (or my wife's cell) so pretty much every call that comes in on it is just spam at this point.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 pm
I agree.
The pace is unsuited to all needs.
by oxfordhouse » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:07 pm
fogpuppy wrote:Oh and BTW time to also revisit the "bare" option with no phone line. I pretty much never use my phone line provided with my DSL anymore. My family all calls my cell (or my wife's cell) so pretty much every call that comes in on it is just spam at this point.
I was told by a tech that phone is bundled with all installs because US law requires utilities to provide access to their poles tto other utilities. Phone is considered a utility, internet isn't, so if phone were unbundled, Sonic would face more difficulties getting access to existing PGE poles.
by claykeer4 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:44 pm
oxfordhouse wrote:
fogpuppy wrote:...

I was told by a tech that phone is bundled with all installs because US law requires utilities to provide access to their poles to other utilities. Phone is considered a utility, internet isn't, so if phone were unbundled, Sonic would face more difficulties getting access to existing PGE poles.
AH-HAH -- So THAT's the reason. :shock:

Finally, an explanation that makes sense, as to why Sonic only offers Internet service bundled with phone service. Thanks for sharing that little tidbit, it should be the standard answer every time the "why do I have to have phone service included" question / objection comes up.

Internet has long-since supplanted voice phone service as a most-used, most-needed "utility" in many households and businesses. US federal and state laws should be revised to reflect that fact.
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:01 pm
claykeer4 wrote:...US federal and state laws should be revised to reflect that fact.
The law is always decades behind technology. Laws are created by people who don't understand it.
6 posts Page 1 of 1