Switching from ATT fiber to Sonic fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by surmoi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm
Hi, as my ATT 1-year promotion price ends, I want to switch to Sonic fiber. Since ATT already connect the fiber from the pole to my house, do I need another installation if I switch? Would I get a different speed (better or worse) than ATT? I was getting 9XXmbps at 1st day and now down to 5XXmbps.
How about the equipment/modem? Do I have to rent a new one, or I can bring my own modem?
Thanks!
by m.harmon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 am
Moving from ATT fiber to Sonic Fiber would require a new install as they use different..wires? Are they called wires still when its fiber optic? Fiber Optic cables. New fiber cables would need to be connected up. The speeds are rated at at a gig so you should be seeing similar to the speeds you saw before.
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by dane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 am
I'd be interested in a clarification here: would this be switching from AT&T retail Uverse to Sonic's resold AT&T fiber service, or a true switch from AT&T fiber to Sonic owned fiber and our own service?

If the former - if you're moving from AT&T Uverse retail to Sonic's resold AT&T IP Broadband fiber, the costs are very similar (because of what they charge us for wholesale access), and there are three primary advantages: unlimited usage (because we buy in bulk), bundled unlimited VoIP, and Sonic customer service. But to be clear, it's AT&T's broadband equipment and network, we're simply reselling.

And in regards to the transition in that case, I think that each premise can only have a single AT&T service in place at a time, so they may reject the order. You could order and see if that occurs or not - but if that turns out to be the case, you'd have to disconnect from them then order from us, resulting in almost a month of downtime - yikes. I can't recommend that!

If the latter, that's easy - just order our service and we'll deliver it, then disconnect theirs. Performance should be 900Mbps+ for wired connections, WiFi will of course vary. You'll save a lot because our monthly cost is much lower, and get all the advantages of being on Sonic's owned and operated facilities. That's our end-game.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1