Albany fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
35 posts Page 1 of 4
by linberl1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:04 pm
Dane, is there any update on the 900 blocks of Albany off Marin? Is this something that you guys have just given up on, and our blocks aren't going to get fiber in the future? I love Sonic but I want better speed, so it would be helpful to know to make decisions. My current speed isn't really good enough to stream a smart tv. Thanks for any update or plan info.
by dane » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 pm

It’s designed and cables were ordered a week or so ago. It is not in pre-order state because we do not have a slot in the schedule when our crews will be able to go back and build this area yet. Once we have that locked down, we’ll open it for pre-order.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by linberl1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 pm
YAY!!!!! Can you guess at an ETA? Also, will we be notified or should we be checking the availability regularly? Thx.
by dane » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:41 pm
linberl1 wrote:YAY!!!!! Can you guess at an ETA? Also, will we be notified or should we be checking the availability regularly? Thx.
Sorry, no guess on ETA. If you're a current Sonic Fusion customer, no action is needed - you'll get an upgrade notice as soon as it's live. If you're not - yes, you'll have to check availability until it shows up for pre-order, then place your pre-order.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:46 pm
Note if you're on Marin, just outside the area above, you're affected by a City of Albany decision to
withdraw from installing pipes during the recent undergrounding effort. Your mayor is aware of the issue, and trying to work with the Council of Mayors to ensure this does not happen again in other areas.

Sonic can't reach the underground areas with their traditional service.
See also viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7920
by linberl1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm
My house is in the area marked on that map. Dane, are we at least talking for sure in 2019?????
by dane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 pm
linberl1 wrote:My house is in the area marked on that map. Dane, are we at least talking for sure in 2019?????
Yep!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by linberl1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:58 am
I should probably apologize to all the Sonic guys who end up working on my street as I keep running out to ask them if they are installing fiber, lol. Anyway, yesterday one of the guys said he thought it was already installed and that one house had it. I'm assuming he was mistaken, since it doesn't come up on my upgrade. Dane, I'm wondering if you have any sense of an ETA because I am at the end of my contract for Dish tv and don't want to sign a new contract (to get a decent price) if I'm going to be able to switch to streaming in the next couple months or so. Any thoughts you can share that would assist my decision? Thx
by linberl » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 am
Wow - I got this today when I checked the upgrade link:
Lucky you!

Sonic Gigabit Fiber internet + phone will be available at your address soon.

We'll contact you as soon as service is available to schedule your installation.

What does this mean?

So how long from the time this message posts to when fiber is ready to install? My dish contract ends 3/1 and I am trying to avoid renewing so I can go to streaming once I have fiber. Help!
by dane » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm
linberl wrote:Wow - I got this today when I checked the upgrade link:
Lucky you!

Sonic Gigabit Fiber internet + phone will be available at your address soon.

We'll contact you as soon as service is available to schedule your installation.

What does this mean?

So how long from the time this message posts to when fiber is ready to install? My dish contract ends 3/1 and I am trying to avoid renewing so I can go to streaming once I have fiber. Help!
Generally we install service in three to five working days. But you wouldn't have to renew that contract, just let it lapse to month to month for a few weeks if it came to that.

BTW, as a current customer, did you NOT get an email notice from us informing you that the upgrade was now available? That'd be odd, and something we should look into.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
35 posts Page 1 of 4