SSh access

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by lpugliese » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 am
I cannot sign in to my server.

I use the followning command. ssh shell.sonic.net

the connection is closed by the sonic,net server.

my user name is lpugliese
my web site is www.livetiles.org
by dane » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am
To prevent abuse, by default ssh access is not enabled for accounts here. To have it turned on, please contact support. This is a one-time verification process. http://www.sonic.net/support/index.shtml
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joemuller » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am
Anthony,

Try out the following command:

Code: Select all

ssh lpugliese@shell.sonic.net
The reason why the connection is being closed is that the ssh command will default to using your local username if you don't provide one. The shell server probably thought you were trying to log in as root, or something similar, so even if it asked for a password, it wouldn't let you in.

Don't feel too bad about it, as I still make this mistake once and a while! :lol:
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by lpugliese » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:14 pm
Thanks for both responses.
I verified with customer support that ssh is turned on. I still cannot access the server with either ssh shell.sonic.net or ssh lpugliese@shell.sonic.net. My password is not accepted. My password works for signing into my sonic.net account for services, however.

To make sure that it is not the internet provider am using, I had another computer at another site try. My password again was not accepted.
by dane » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 pm
What ssh client are you using?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lpugliese » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 pm
The three computers I tried:
osx tools on a mac air
osx tools on a mac pro
debian 6 standard tools

I have used the same debian 6 ssh several months ago, when I signed up for the service, to access the sonic site and I was successful in building the index.html page that comes up on the www.livetiles.org site.

I changed the password and verified that the change took place and then tried to ssh again. I entered the new password and failed to connect. Eventually after three times I got this message: Permission denied, please try again. I tried again and it failed.

Tony Pugliese
by lpugliese » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:41 pm
An additional point. I am successful signing in to my other hosted site at Hurricane Electric in Fremont using my Debian desktop and using the osx ssh.
by lpugliese » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:05 pm
UPDATE
it is 3hours since I tried to login to the hosting web server. Things are now functional:

I can telnet to the server with: telnet shell.sonic.net (only)
I can SSH ONLY to the server only with: lpugliese@shell.sonic.net (only)

Thanks for the progress,

Tony
by bbusby@sonic.net » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm
Tony:

I use putty for access to sh.sonic.net and needed to upgrade to v70 for the handshake
to happen. It's possible that your access means needs a similar upgrade.

Cheers,
Bruce
9 posts Page 1 of 1