Recent Berkeley Hills Installs ?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
24 posts Page 1 of 3
by cmeisel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:18 pm
Hi,
I am in the North Berkeley Hills and trying to get a sense where service is now and how far we are away. I saw Sonic trucks in Fairlawn which is really close. Anybody in the Hills with Sonic Fiber yet in the North Berkeley Hills ?
by cmeisel » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:03 am
I got an update yesterday that was really no update at all since it was generic and a follow up question that this means for my install just resulted in a sorry we have no info for you email. Now suddenly there is talk of another permit in the mail.
I have signed up 13 month ago and patiently waited and also convinced many neighbors (who email and ask me for updates frequently) to do the same. But if Sonic is not able to tell me in Jan that Feb still looks good, that is a bad sign and at this point I would expect more info for people who waited this long and a date. I am sure there is one in the internal sonic system. I will continue to wait but if nothing happens again in February, I will reluctantly re-evaluate and consider other options. For the first time I feel really disappointed and let down by Sonic !
by dane » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:48 pm
We have struggled to meet our estimated completion dates due to permitting issues, so knowing that they are bound to be wrong, we are no longer providing dates. We feel like it’s not right to guess at dates when we cannot internally control the outcome and actually meet the dates.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 pm
Note that Sonic may be compelled to remove some of the Berkeley Hills Fiber, due to an undergrounding project:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7013&start=40
by dane » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:26 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:Note that Sonic may be compelled to remove some of the Berkeley Hills Fiber, due to an undergrounding project:

That project only affects 240 homes in the Grizzly Peak area. No other Sonic service regions are impacted.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ds_sonic_asif » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm
dane wrote:
digitalbitstream wrote:Note that Sonic may be compelled to remove some of the Berkeley Hills Fiber, due to an undergrounding project:

That project only affects 240 homes in the Grizzly Peak area. No other Sonic service regions are impacted.
Is Creston Road, just above Grizzly Peak, part of those 240 homes?
by Larns576 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 pm
Dane posted a map of the affected FDA. I believe its FDA 39

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7920
by cmeisel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:59 pm
That is not entirely correct. I am in FDA39 for example (Avenida Drive) and not affected by this so now all of FDA39
Only some of FDA39 get underground. You need to check city of berkeley maps I guess. Info might be here:

https://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content ... unding.pdf

claus
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:41 pm
A clear map of affected homes is at:
https://www.berkeleyundergrounding.com/ ... eak-summit
But the rule at work here is under revision now by the CPUC, a process that takes years.
In short: your street may be next. This applies to undergrounding anywhere in the State of California.

I'm seeking to raise the profile of this issue. Essentially because of an arcane funding formula, no expansion space will be left when a street gets undergrounded.

I'm pushing for a change to this rule, so that a single communication conduit gets placed, with a single set
of right of way intrusions for junction boxes, then shared on a equal basis by any telecommunication company (or City department) that comes along. I can't say exactly what future needs there are... maybe 5G microtowers.... but I can say that it's stupid to lock in the incumbents AT&T and Comcast.

by ds_sonic_asif » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:54 pm
Larns576 wrote:Dane posted a map of the affected FDA. I believe its FDA 39

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7920
I saw that, and that the area to be underground-ed did not include Creston Road. But with the latest construction update email being more ambiguous than the previous, I wondered about ripple effects with the routing of fiber to adjacent areas.

But mostly, 13 months after the pre-order, it is frustrating.
24 posts Page 1 of 3