Fusion VPN Known/Unresolved Issue

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by katz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 am
I just had new Fusion installed at my residence to support working from home. I am getting repeated IP drops of my VPN back to work that cause my IP phone calls to drop. So, I called sonic.net support. I was told that there is a known issue with VPNs and Fusion and no ETA for resolution or even an update. I have always been very happy with sonic.net service, which is why I have been willing to pay more to get internet service from sonic.net than from other providers. But, not surprisingly I am not nearly as happy a customer now as this is negatively impacting my ability to work. I think it is eminently reasonable to expect a date for a date for resolution. Had I known that Fusion would not work correctly with no date for resolution, I would have selected some other provider for IP connectivity at my residence.
by kgc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:39 am
There must be some misunderstanding here, there are no known issues with any VPN client (or any other application that you could run over the top of your internet) and Fusion. Are you seeing packet loss to your gateway and/or to the vpn server?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by aw » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:49 am
I've run many IPSEC and OpenVPN connections over various fusion lines with no problem.
by wa2ibm » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:36 pm
Are you using dynamic or static IP's? If on dynamic, might this be the old problem with DHCP renewing at 5 minute intervals? This might kick your VPN to the curb if that is what's happening. If you're running dynamic, go into member tools and select one static IP address (no charge for residential users) and see if that resolves the issue.

Dunno, just guessing.

Edit: Oh, if you change to static, you'll have to change your router WAN settings as well, since DHCP won't give you your static address on a Fusion circuit.
by dane » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:28 pm
aw wrote:I've run many IPSEC and OpenVPN connections over various fusion lines with no problem.
Ditto. There are no issues with VPN on Fusion or our DSL products.

What you may be suffering from is the DHCP renewal issue, if your firewall is refusing the renewal of the DHCP lease. Some customers with firewalls have experienced this.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1