Berkeley removing Sonic fiber lines?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
41 posts Page 3 of 5
by stephencsu » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:23 am
Dane,

I got this reply when asking about the status of Sonic:
A few months ago we got an email from a third party that Sonic chose not to participate in the undergrounding project. This would mean that they would no longer be able to provide service in your area.

Then, just a few weeks ago we got information that they may participate in the project, in an indirect way, which would still allow their service to be available in your area.

In conclusion, the City is still unsure of Sonic’s intentions at this time.
Any update on discussions Sonic has had with the city and what your plans are?

Ironically, AT&T currently only offers wireless phone and TV service to my address and no Internet. They literally don't offer anything carried currently on the poles other than legacy copper phone lines (and/or DSL at 13+k ft from the CO, heh).
by dane » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:28 am
We have an inquiry in to the City in regards to their plans and timing for this project. We hope to find a way to continue to offer service there, because it'd be a shame to remove recently-built plant and not replace it. The project has always been "TBD" on their website, and we were not informed of their plans to underground when they issued the permit for us to build there, so we're working now to get all the details and are hopeful we can work with the City to continue to provide service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by chrissamuel » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:04 pm
I got the same letter on Friday and emailed them to provide my contact info and asked about Sonic.

The reply was just: "Thank you for your information." :-(

Fingers crossed something can be worked out, I'd hate to lose my service!
by stephencsu » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am
A foreman from RC Electric came by yesterday to do site surveys on behalf of the City of Berkeley for the utility undergrounding. He said that the tentative expectation is for the work to be done in July or August.
by chrissamuel » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:09 pm
I bumped into a guy doing survey work up on Summit Road a few weeks back for the project, he said much the same to me when I chatted to him about the works.
by chrissamuel » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:30 pm
Hi Dane,

Just wondering if there's been any news on these undergrounding works yet, and what that might mean for our Sonic services up here?

All the best,
Chris
by dane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:09 pm
chrissamuel wrote:Hi Dane,

Just wondering if there's been any news on these undergrounding works yet, and what that might mean for our Sonic services up here?

All the best,
Chris
No, we haven't heard anything. And the City's website still says the project timing is "TBD", for both the start of construction, and critically, the removal of the poles that Sonic fiber is on today. https://www.cityofberkeley.info/Public_ ... ricts.aspx

We are hopeful that we can coordinate a microtrenching project to place fiber, after power is undergrounded but before any re-paving. We'll see what the City decides to do regarding that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stephencsu » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 am
https://www.cityofberkeley.info/Public_ ... dates.aspx
5. Sonic

Directional bore to install conduit and vault on Sacramento Street from Julia to Ashby and on Julia Street from Sacramento to California.
Dane, is this a positive move towards fiber undergrounding for Sonic in Berkeley?
by chrissamuel » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:49 pm
Hi all,

Got a letter this week from the Berkeley Council saying that the "Utility Undergrounding District No 48 Project" was aimed to begin in the fall 2021 and run through to spring 2024. Apparently there will be an online community meeting later this year.

All the best,
Chris
by chrissamuel » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:48 pm
Hi Dane,

I am in the PG&E and City of Berkeley Zoom webinar at the moment and it's just been said that Sonic has taken a business decision to not be a "trench partner" (I think that was the term they used). Was there any news on the idea of microtrenching with the council? The council said that they were yet to hear from Sonic.

_If_ it happens it sounds like it might start mid 2022 and energise around 2026.

All the best,
Chris
41 posts Page 3 of 5