Berkeley removing Sonic fiber lines?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
41 posts Page 4 of 5
by galguys7 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:57 pm
I was in the same meeting and would like to see all current Sonic users in UUD48 mobilize to assist Sonic -- city of Berkeley communication. I think there are quite a few of us and we all prefer to keep our Sonic service.

Mr. Andrew Brozyna of the city of Berkeley stated tonight that Sonic "made a business decision not to participate" in the project.

Dane - can you please clarify your position on this?

Yoav.
by chrissamuel » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:38 am
galguys7 wrote:Mr. Andrew Brozyna of the city of Berkeley stated tonight that Sonic "made a business decision not to participate" in the project.
I believe that was the PG&E rep who said that, though the city did say that they would happily talk to Sonic (and I sent them a message via Zoom to say that they had tried already but hadn't heard back going on Dane's message from Feb 2021).
by tktoku8 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:54 am
I am a very new Sonic convert (2 weeks ago), and was shocked to learn in yesterday's City of Berkeley/PG&E zoom meeting that Sonic is not participating in trenching. Sonic did not mention this issue when I asked about service to my home on Grizzly Peak Blvd. There was no mention of "micro-trenching" during the Berkeley/PG&E zoom. Only being left with Comcast and ATT would be unfortunate.
Tetsu
by cindykok » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:35 pm
Tweeted Dane last night and his response:
We do not believe it’s viable for us to participate in the full joint trench project. But we would consider building new pathway there if the City permits microtrenching. Best timing for this is after joint trench work is done, but before any re-paving is done.
https://twitter.com/dane/status/1481487 ... e0po8pAAAA
by stephencsu » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:09 am
The City of Berkeley website finally has updated dates for the project as well as the recording of the Jan 12, 2022 meeting.

https://www.cityofberkeley.info/Public_ ... tatus.aspx

It felt like half the Q&A time was spent discussing Sonic.
by dane » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:44 am
stephencsu wrote:The City of Berkeley website finally has updated dates for the project as well as the recording of the Jan 12, 2022 meeting.

https://www.cityofberkeley.info/Public_ ... tatus.aspx

It felt like half the Q&A time was spent discussing Sonic.
I'll give that a look, thanks. Also will reach out to the City to make sure they're still aware that may be interested in microtrenching after the joint trench is completed but before any road repaving is completed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:51 am
I'm working my way through the presentation now, but a key question for those who watched it and participated: did you get an idea about when they hope to finally remove poles? I assume it would be after the new electric system is energized, which seems to currently be projected to in 2026. Does that sound right, for those who viewed this fully?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stephencsu » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:57 pm
dane wrote:I'm working my way through the presentation now, but a key question for those who watched it and participated: did you get an idea about when they hope to finally remove poles? I assume it would be after the new electric system is energized, which seems to currently be projected to in 2026. Does that sound right, for those who viewed this fully?
That's correct, after the system is energized in 2026. PG&E would be the first to remove the top off the poles within a few months of energizing, then it would be up to the other utility providers to remove their lines. They mentioned that Sonic had pole rights through another entity, presumably AT&T, so it would ultimately be that entity's deadline to remove lines under their jurisdiction.
by dane » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:41 pm
stephencsu wrote:That's correct, after the system is energized in 2026. PG&E would be the first to remove the top off the poles within a few months of energizing, then it would be up to the other utility providers to remove their lines. They mentioned that Sonic had pole rights through another entity, presumably AT&T, so it would ultimately be that entity's deadline to remove lines under their jurisdiction.
Gotcha. So, sounds like we've got 4+ years to sort this out. That's good news I suppose!

I've put an email in to Public Works to inquire with them about timing too. Ideally, we'd build a new microtrenched pathway to the homes after the joint trench is completed and filled but before re-paving occurs. We'll see how that all comes together.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joevansteen » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:14 pm
Dane,

I posted a new thread, because I didn't notice this. I only found the 2021 conversation.

If you think you are going to be able to dig your own trenches to each of your customer's homes in the Berkeley hills you must never have been to the area to inspect the conditions. This is not Sacramento, or Santa Rosa. It ain't flat, and some connections will need to be tunneled with a lot of property repair done for completion. Are you going to guarantee that conditions are fully restored, retaining walls are restored, paved driveways are restored, etc. to "before project" state. I seriously doubt it. It would cost you a fortune unless you are working as part of the project, which is giving the residents exactly that guarantee, backed by the city. It may be multiple conduits, but major property repair work at completion is a consolidated operation. How will you join in that, and won't your working on your own cause further delay and property impact on each customer?

I and other residents will need to make a decision to depend on someone else for fiber if you plan on waiting until it's almost over before committing to take part.

Sorry to be harsh, but there is such a thing as the reality of conditions on the ground here in the hills,

Respectfully, a customer,

Joe Van Steen
41 posts Page 4 of 5