Berkeley removing Sonic fiber lines?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 2 of 2
by digitalbitstream » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
California Public Utilities Commission
Public Advisor's Office
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102

Regarding R.17-05-010 on Rule 20A Projects

Dear CPUC;

I am a consumer living in an area that hopes to see underground utilities in the future.

I'm concerned because nearby underground projects have included no expansion space: only AT&T and Comcast have participated in the joint trench. This action has locked in the incumbency of those carriers despite the fact the trench exists on public land. I ask the CPUC to modify Rule 20A to place all communications companies, present and future, on the same footing and most likely sharing the same conduit. It's possible now for a telecommunication provider (such as the one I use for home Internet) to attach to a pole. The same concept should apply in a trench: with sufficient expansion space available for the future.

Full rulemaking request for comment:
http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/E ... 978985.PDF
by ankh » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 pm
Thank you for posting that. I borrowed and slightly amended your text, and emaled the CPUC.

Dane pointed out we can do this, see his posting in this thread Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Hurry, there's a deadline for comments: January 11th

Regarding R.17-05-010 on Rule 20A Projects

Dear CPUC;

I am a consumer living in an area that hopes to see underground utilities in the future.

I'm concerned because nearby underground projects have included no expansion space: only AT&T and Comcast have participated in the joint trench.

This action has locked in the incumbency of those carriers despite the fact the trench exists on public land.

I ask the CPUC to modify Rule 20A to place all communications companies, present and future, on the same footing and most likely sharing the same conduit. It's possible now for a telecommunication provider (such as the one I use for home Internet) to attach to a pole. The same concept should apply in a trench: with sufficient expansion space available for the future, empty pipes with pull rope in them to allow pulling in new communications fiber should be the default assumption for any new street trench.

It is insane to lock out businesses providing telecommunications service using utility poles when those poles are removed and trenches dug to replace them.
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:32 pm
I've created a mailing list for those interested:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... -utilities
13 posts Page 2 of 2