Gigabit ethernet vs 10 gigabit Ethernet Mac mini purchase question

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by c0lgateag » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:28 pm
I am looking at buying the new Mac mini and have a choice of gigabit Ethernet or 10 gigabit ethernet. I recently had sonic fiber installed at home and am using a new ethernet cable to connect it to my laptop. I want to replace the laptop. Should I upgrade the Mac mini to the 10 gigabit option for $100 more? I don’t really understand this stuff.

Here are the options: 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Configurable to 10Gb Ethernet (Nbase-T Ethernet with support for 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb, and 10Gb Ethernet using RJ-45 connector)
by Larns576 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Gigabit is fine.

Your internet connection and most likely the rest of the network hardware in your home is also gigabit, so just having a lone 10 gigabit PC won't yield any benefits.

Vast majority of home users wont have or need 10 gigabit connections, for now. At least not until the internet speeds are faster and hardware prices are cheaper.
by joeyyung911 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:34 pm
Won't affect your Internet speed, as it's limited by the interface on the ONT (1Gb).

Personally, I would upgrade, 'cause I want the best. Currently have a couple of computers connected at 10Gb through SFP+ connection
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by steelgaze » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:47 pm
I wouldnt even say the 10GBE is a waste but unless you get a rather expensive switch now, it'll be limited to a normal gigabit line, which is not terrible. The cheapests 10GBE switch is probably at least $300.

Get the 10gbit interface if you plan to keep the mac mini for the next 6+ years, and plan to upgrade your home network to 10GBE.
by aanon4 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:27 am
I would buy 10Gb when the option is available, and $100 extra is a good price for the upgrade. We're going to see cheaper 10Gb switches appearing in 2019 (such as this box from Mikrotik - https://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik ... ch-l5.html).
5 posts Page 1 of 1