Fiber for The Mission in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 4 of 4
by SFCustomer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm
paul.manangan wrote:
dane wrote:Well, we clearly don't consider Fusion to be an inferior product, but I recognize that in some locations it will be slower than Cable due to loop length.

We are considering a Fiber pre-registration concept. It's been interesting to watch Google engage in their Kansas City roll-out, and I'll be real interested to see how many neighborhoods end up qualifying.
Dane-
I have to disagree. You clearly have an inferior product. I was lured into your bait and switch scheme with promises of up to 20mbps for $40 what I got was 3-5mbps for $65 that drops continually. When I call customer service they run their tests that indicate that we have 5.6mbps running into our modem which is what we should be getting given our distance from your CO and any degradation is likely due to my wireless set up.
While I an not a fan of AT&T they never tried to tell me that I was receiving more than 6mbps and they were upfront about charging me $90 for it. And the service didn't continually drop off.
While I will be cancelling my service shortly, I suggest you sprinkle a little more truth in your marketing and have your sales people clearly advise their prospects of what the actual anticipated download/upload speeds would be for an address since that information is so readily available. I was so ready to support your business, unfortunately your business is not ready to support the general consumer. Thanks for the headaches.
Ouch! So much negativity there, and based on what? There are SO MANY reasons why you might not have gotten the megabits you expected/need/want: until you eliminate those factors, using that kind of language is pretty rough. We're more hopeful and positive here because positive reinforcement usually works better with actual human beings, like CEOs who read/post to Customer Forums.

Sure, Comcast may have more high-speed cable infrastructure tentacles around the throats of more victims, but our experience with Sonic's Sales dept was that they were completely straight with us about maximum speeds versus what we could actually expect based on loop length and related factors. Sure, the price is higher than Comcast, but only if you don't factor in the "intangibles". We won't have the suffer through any more of Comcast forging contract documents, lying, bait-and-switching, stalling, over-billing, never (ever) calling us back, pummeling us with postal junk mail, adding questionable surcharges even their reps can't explain, and otherwise making our staff's lives miserable. There's a dollar value on that kind of corporate misbehavior (or so our lawyers tell us).

You're certainly free to think that raw bandwidth is the sole reason to pick an ISP, but some of our staff have worked in Eastern Europe and Comcast treats its customers with the same indifferent contempt as various former Soviet-bloc national telcos. Nobody in our shop would consider going back to Comcast in a zillion-jillion years (which is an engineer's way of saying "never"). Sonic seems to be well-managed and with enough committed effort and customer enthusiasm, there's no reason they can't eventually deliver as-good-or-better speeds as Comcast: hopefully Sonic will retain its humanity.

For now, we're placing our bets on Sonic and its Real Human Beings and we'd like to know where to sign up for Sonic's Fiber pre-registration program ASAP.
31 posts Page 4 of 4