Sonic Fiber in East Santa Rosa?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by kcfphoto » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:49 pm
I was looking for information on the Sonic construction going on along Sonoma Hwy on the east side of Santa Rosa? Looks like they are working towards Los Alamos Rd now. Does this mean any of the neighborhoods might be getting fiber soon? St. Francis/Skyhawk? Thanks
by dane » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:32 pm
kcfphoto wrote:I was looking for information on the Sonic construction going on along Sonoma Hwy on the east side of Santa Rosa? Looks like they are working towards Los Alamos Rd now. Does this mean any of the neighborhoods might be getting fiber soon? St. Francis/Skyhawk? Thanks
The crews around Sonoma County now are building backbone links, today for the purpose of serving anchor tenants, mostly public schools. Those backbone lines provide us a foundation for future expansion, and further our goal of bringing fiber to every premise.

That's a very roundabout way of saying, "no, not soon", but it is progress.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kcfphoto » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:44 pm
Thank you Dane for the reply!
by sabrinak » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:26 am
It's been quite a while since this question was posted. But with over 700 views...I think it would be in the financial interest of Sonic.net to get old Pac Bell lines up and running. My mom lives just on Manzanita Ave. part of a woodsy neighborhood minutes from downtown Santa Rosa. People here are slaves to Comcast. Only 15 years ago they were able to get Pac bell when it maintained it's fiber lines. Now these people can ONLY get Comcast for internet, phone, AND TV; and, it's outrageously expensive (over $200 per month for basic services). I wish you guys would completely service one area before you go jumping to other towns that don't have sonic yet. You've not finished setting up Santa Rosa! PLEASE!
by dane » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:53 am
We are working in a number of communities, but beyond Petaluma, we do not yet have any residential fiber announcements to make here in Sonoma.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tbenson@sonic.net » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 am
Dane,

I know you updated this recently, but "the times they are a changing".

Given the current Coronavirus outbreak, the Shelter in place for Sonoma County and the FCC waiving rules such as "gift rules" until September 20th for healthcare and E-rate education programs. Do you think there is any chance that Santa Rosa will reduce any of the blockage in getting fiber deployed in Santa Rosa?

While most areas can get internet today still some rural areas the services available can be sub standard, to put it nicely. This lack of connectivity could severely impact the ability of some students to thrive in a distance learning environment. Improving our infrastructure in the county as a whole I feel has transitioned from a nice to have to an absolute necessity. With many schools in CA already announcing not returning to the campus before next year, preparing for the potential that distance learning might become a new paradigm seems more than prudent.

If you don't feel any of the above will change the process, please let us know what groups in Santa Rosa (City Council, etc.) you think need to hear from the citizens. I'd be happy to promote change to the previous practices and roadblocks that have prevented Sonic from having this City/County in a state of readiness for the epidemic we are experiencing and the changes it is bringing about.

Thank you and keep up the great work.
Trevor
by Patti » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:29 pm
I have lived in rural East Santa Rosa for 16 years. We cannot get Cell service, we don't have Cable, Satellite is overpriced and horribly unsatisfactory, and Fiber is not planned in our area. A winery nearby paid for Fiber, but it's 1 mile short of our home and our neighbors. Now that Covid has forced everyone to work from home, our lack of affordable and reliable broadband internet is more important than ever. I would be happy to band together with others in our area to force government and/or corporate giants to bring fiber and/or cable to rural areas. There has been government funding in the past (I'm not an expert but have read a few articles on the topic), such as "Internet For All Now Act (AB 1665)" and it seems Sonoma County has not utilized this(?). I have also reached out to Sonoma County Economic Development Board inquiring about expansion of broadband in rural Sonoma County, but no good news in the short term. If Dane has any suggestions for residents to Raise the Issue, please let us know. Thank You!
by Larns576 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am
https://ilsr.org/california-lawmakers-v ... nd-access/

Here's a good read on AB1665 and why it won't help unless you really live in the boonies with no Internet at all. Even then, all they'd have to do is provide 6Mb/1Mb to be considered "high speed".
8 posts Page 1 of 1