Coax? MoCa options for Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by baltik1 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 am
I am in the process of switching out from Xfinity to Gigabit Fiber in San Francisco. I live upstairs in a multi-unit building. Currently comcast enters the building into the garage and from there the signal goes to my unit over coax where I have my Docsis 3.0 modem and router. Running a fresh Cat5e line from garage to my unit is going to be problematic, HOA issues etc. Any Ideas on how I can make my setup work?
by dane » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:11 pm
We can't deliver our gigabit service over coax, so that wouldn't be an option. Best bet will probably be to order service and meet with our installer on site - they'll go over the path with you, and work to find a low-impact way to get either Fiber or Ethernet to the unit. Sometimes that's simply impossible and we have to scrub the install, but that's pretty rare.

Regarding HOA issues or for those in apartments, in San Francisco the municipal code requires that tenants have the right to select the internet provider of their choice. And, state law thoughout California mandates that building owners allow renters to select the telephone company of their choice.

So, both for internet access and for the phone service that comes with Fusion Fiber, you have a right to the service - even if that means running a new cable through or around a building.

Of course, our goal is not to fight with building owners or managers, but we do want to make sure that tenants understand their rights. It thus becomes a collaborative effort to find the best neat and tidy and safe way to get the new fiber service installed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Kevinste94116 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am
by dane » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:38 am
We deliver a 1000Mbps/1000Mbps (2000Mbps combined) speed link, so pushing it over coax "with speeds up to 450 Mbps bi-directional combined." would be a big downgrade. I'm guessing this device can do 250Mbps or so each way. Generally we see WiFi to most of the end-devices in the home being the slow point, with speeds of 350-600Mbps, but this coax device would be a prior bottleneck at much lower speed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by timyu94 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 pm
dane wrote:
We deliver a 1000Mbps/1000Mbps (2000Mbps combined) speed link, so pushing it over coax "with speeds up to 450 Mbps bi-directional combined." would be a big downgrade. I'm guessing this device can do 250Mbps or so each way. Generally we see WiFi to most of the end-devices in the home being the slow point, with speeds of 350-600Mbps, but this coax device would be a prior bottleneck at much lower speed.
A pair of bonded moca 2.0 adapters can get one pretty close to gigabit over coax if ethernet is unavailable but coax is.

Motorola 2.0 bonded moca adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y3SQXR/re ... BAb4WGF2GH

Actiontec 2.0 bonded moca adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7OBUU/re ... BAb1BTZBA8
by dane » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:53 pm
Might work. YMMV. ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by astrorob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:00 pm
i am using the actiontec bonded moca 2.0 adapters inside my house and can get between about 650-750MB/s (megabytes/sec) between any two adapters. so this is probably an option for you but would come at the expense of a slight bit of speed.
7 posts Page 1 of 1