IPv4 block allocations over fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by gessel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:04 pm
I've been a sonic enterprise customer since 2012, currently on metro Ethernet. I've been waiting for fiber to make it into my redlined neighbourhood in East Oakland for years only to learn that now that AT&T has reached me, fixed IPs aren't available over fiber, neither resold AT&T fiber nor Sonic's own.

This is a shortcoming that goes to the heart of the Net Neutrality argument. While a lot of end users are just consumers of other people's data and therefore have no real need to make services externally accessible, one of the fundamental promises of the internet is any-to-any communications, and at least one "any" party has to have a resolvable address for that to work.

It is short-sighted to legally abandon one's data on 3rd party hardware ("the cloud") hoping that whoever now owns and controls your data has a business model that is and remains aligned with yours, despite that being a popular mistake.

Less philosophically, provisioning of almost any service, from web hosting to email to VPN etc., requires fixed addresses. I currently have a /27 from sonic which I use to provide a wide variety of services I need to access from remote areas. It is embarrassing explaining to my clients and coworkers how backward the US is in providing data services and that, for example, the bandwidth choke is not from some war zone third world country but rather the last mile in silicon valley where modern data services just aren't available yet.

I really like Sonic as a company, and have had great support from the Enterprise department, but at some point I'd really like to get more than 3mbps service that supports being a data provider rather than merely a data consumer, hopefully before the neglected and failing copper plant completely corrodes away.
1 post Page 1 of 1