Slow WiFi

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by rchardy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm
I'm using Sonic gigabit fiber with the sonic modem/router rental (Fusion Fiber RG Rental - STI-0300984-8). My hard-wired PC is testing at speeds of 940Mbps up and down, but my wireless is only testing at 15Mbps up/down. I get a lot of stuttering and distortion on zoom/video calls for work. Any easy guidance to bump up the wifi speed or is this just a really trash router?
by cmeisel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm
If you search you will see there are many threads with wifi speeds. It will always be much slower and it will also depend on each device you have connect to it.
Sonic now offers the eero (i believe instead of their other modem) which would certainly be a good alternative for a fast, moderns, mesh network wifi setup. Even with that some older devices will be very slow. Nothing will beat wires (for now)
by rhardy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:05 pm
Yeah there's no reason my wifi should be THAT much slower - 2018 Macbook Pro sitting literally 3 feet from my modem as I do the speed test.

Guess I'll contact support to get this thing replaced. Thanks.
by Larns576 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:32 pm
Heres the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7440&p=41400#p41400

One guy reportedly said he got ~400Mbps with an Amplifi.

Sonic also has the Eero for $8/mo for the wired and $5/mo for the wireless nodes. (Page 4 of the thread)
by dane » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm
Get our eero mesh solution - it’s available from support today and is just $8/mo for the wired units and $4/mo for the wireless repeaters.

Text or call (you can always avoid any hold time by requesting they call you!) or email them and they can ship ‘em your way! http://Sonic.com/support
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1