moving sonic fiber link

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by alexr » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:32 pm
I'm sure I got the name wrong, but I'm looking to move the white box to a more convenient location.

Are there instructions on how to pull it off the screws in the wall? I don't want to move it and cause problems. I suspect the answer will be "don't move it, hire us" but I really just want to move it about 2 feet over towards where the fiber is coming in so I don't need a longer line. I want to do this before I paint on Wednesday so it looks nice, so hoping there's some instructions on how to do this safely.

The tech who installed said I could do it as long as I did it "carefully" but I want to look at instructions first.
by m.harmon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:56 am
We wouldn't have any instruction for that as you mentioned "don't move it, hire us" is the best plan. Everything is currently set up by an expert to work just as it is and any movement would likely need an expert as well.
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by ggladsto » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:32 pm
Our installer left the ONT (little white box) just sitting loose inside our ethernet wall enclosure with about 8 feet of "slack" in the fiber line (curled in circles) inside there as well. It's no problem at all moving the box out and around- I would just be careful to not be too rough with the fiber line and don't sharply bend it for any reason.
by ctwitt » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:07 pm
the install tech having left the AdTran ONT lying loose in the enclosure with the fibre loosely coiled nearby implies strongly to me that a careful and nontraumatic manipulation would not cause a negative outcome. i have a similar situation and i am pondering the possibility of moving my ONT about 10" to hide it in a bookshelf. there's more than enuf slack in the fibre to accommodate this and FYI, my unit (possibly yours too) is mounted on 2 screwheads in the wall via keyhole slots- lift about a quarter inch to disengage.
by ngufra » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:25 pm
Fiber requires special tools to cut and as it's going at the speed of light (300,000 km/s) 10 feet won't make much difference.
That's why installers just coil it.
You can see a picture of the back at https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... Adtran-411 which should give you a hint on how to remove it from the wall.

If you are going to sand/paint around, put it in a plastic bag with the wires still attached so it stays clean.

If you are paying for equipment rental/service, maybe sonic can come and relocate it free of charge
5 posts Page 1 of 1