gigabit wifi tuning with the smart/rg?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by anon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:29 am
is there an advanced guide to tuning the smart/rg gateway for optimal wifi speeds for a gigabit fiber customer?

i may be an unfrozen caveman wifi networking expert (circa 2000) and this new technology frightens me with its multiple channels and multimedia priority and the kids on my lawn etc.

what i'm looking for is a guide for trainable n00bs such as myself to optimize wifi performance on 5GHz with the sonic/rg, and a gigabit fiber connection, ideally using the built in tools in the smart/rg.

my particular use case is optimizing
for the first gen iPhone X, which i believe should be able to use two connections for ~600Mbps down. I'm getting ~300 at a distance of 1 meter as the only user on my gigabit network, with what i suspect is minimal radio interference.

so: if there's a guide that can help me focus on the likely 5 or so settings out of 20 that i might want to futz with, i'd appreciate it.

any tips?
by sniper1rfa » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 am
The iphone X is 2x2 802.11ac. While the bitrate of a radio is theoretically capable of around 800Mb/s, it's typical to get actual best-case throughput between 1/3 and 2/3 of the radio link rate. That means a practical limit about about 400Mb/s, and real-world rates more like 300-350.

It sounds like you're getting the best connection you can.
2 posts Page 1 of 1