Sonic Fiber vs AT&T Fiber offering....

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
33 posts Page 4 of 4
by jsbeddow » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:07 pm
The following is a re-post of what I stated in another thread, but I am looking for more feedback from uses with more direct knowledge of what I am asking about here (as clearly the members that posted in this thread have more experience with the issues at hand).

It took quite a bit of searching and asking in other Sonic forum posts to determine that only the true Sonic owned and installed "native service area" FTTP installations (as opposed to the re-sold AT&T fiber installations) get an ONT that can truly function directly to a customer's router without needing one of the "forced rentals" of a residential gateway (RG) from AT&T. Given all the problems I see on various other forums (see: DSLReports, AT&T, SNBForums), with customers complaining about the very poor implementations of firmware on these AT&T supplied RGs (both the Pace 5268 and Arris BGW210) that at best are semi-functional in Bridge Mode (aka: IP-Passthrough, DMZ Plus, etc), or not at all, this is really causing me to reconsider my choice of Sonic FTTP service. Frankly, I'm surprised I have not run across more complaints of this issue here on the Sonic Access forum, or at least more discussion of potential workarounds. I really, REALLY don't want to give up using my own router (an Asus RT-AC68P running the Merlin customized firmware with various add-ons and scripts that further extend it's functionality and security).

Has anyone here on Sonic tried the dumb/un-managed switch based "hardware bypass" method? This seems to work well, as long as there are no power interruptions, ie: all items are on UPS devices. This method is best explained in the post by "rijh" on this page:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/att-g ... ost-445195
I sincerely hope this method will work for me.

So....anyone here subscribing to the Sonic/AT&T resold fiber service using this method successfully?
by Michaelgene » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 am
I’ve been a Sonic customer for years, and I much prefer rooting for the Little Guy. But I gotta say - reading posts in which people complain about only getting 100 mbps on Sonic hurts. I live in San Francisco, have a Fusion contract with Sonic, and get... 3mbps. Not 300, not 30. 3. Three. I’ve been told by Sonic that it’s because I live in the middle of San Francisco (Not on a hill or anything, just a regular street near GG Park), and that if I want to watch an unrebuffered movie I need to sign up with AT&T - with Sonic as a middleman. Or wait for Sonic Fiber, which may arrive in my neighborhood before I die.

My slow speed is because I live too far from Santa Rosa. But I wonder - would it be cheaper to roll out fiber over the next decade, or to build a real hub in SF, boosting everyone’s speeds? I recommend Sonic to everyone for political reasons, but when they ask me about the speed I can’t lie to them.
by joeyyung911 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:36 am
Michaelgene wrote:My slow speed is because I live too far from Santa Rosa.
Your speed is slow because you live too far from the CO, not Santa Rosa. Just because they're headquartered there doesn't mean everything goes through there. They're able to provide Fiber because they have their own infrastructure in the respective cities/counties.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
33 posts Page 4 of 4