long term, faster speeds?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by lokijake » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:31 pm
I should have posted were there any long-term plans to have faster than 1GB as I couldn't find any reference online when i looked. I was just able to get sonic when I moved into new construction house and love it :) Thanks!
by dane » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:54 pm
Not sure what article you might be referring to...?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 am
You guys referred to the 10 Gb service in the referral email. That would be one mentioning of faster service.
by cmeisel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 am
You guys referred to the 10 Gb service in the referral email. That would be one mentioning of faster service.
by dane » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am
Gotcha.

10Gbps isn’t new, we have been offering that speed to businesses and schools for over three years. Today we offer 40Gbps-100Gbps to them!

For those who haven’t seen it, the fiber customer referral contest he is referring allows the member who refers the most new Sonic customers between November 15th and December 31st to get their standard 1Gbps fiber upgraded to full 10Gbps service, making them theirs the fastest connected home in the US.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am
Dane as far as I know most commercial NIC's are only capable of pushing 1 gig speeds are you guys going to do full set up ( including the NIC and modem capable of doing 10 gigs ) for the end user ?
by dane » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am
pockyken007 wrote:Dane as far as I know most commercial NIC's are only capable of pushing 1 gig speeds are you guys going to do full set up ( including the NIC and modem capable of doing 10 gigs ) for the end user ?
We've been talking that over here. Yes, for that lucky winner, actually achieving maximum speed will be a unique challenge. :lol: While we can't really provide someone with a new PC, we have had success testing here with modern Mac systems that have Thunderbolt 3 with an external adaptor, and we might toss one of those in. There are also PCI Express interfaces for Windows/Linux hosts available.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:32 am
Will These faster speeds eventually be available for households as well? So if people want 2, 5,10 gigs can they upgrade?
by aanon4 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am
cmeisel wrote:Will These faster speeds eventually be available for households as well? So if people want 2, 5,10 gigs can they upgrade?
I couldn't find any information on the business site about 10G service (I did notice they offer static IP on fiber for business though). Is there any pricing and availability info anywhere?
by dane » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 am
aanon4 wrote:I couldn't find any information on the business site about 10G service (I did notice they offer static IP on fiber for business though). Is there any pricing and availability info anywhere?
Business services are all sold by our account rep team, who meet with each business to assess their data and telecom needs, design a custom solution of WAN, internet, voice (Hosted PBX, SIP trunks, PRI and POTS). The underlying delivery method also influences cost and availability - are we delivering over our own fiber or a type-2 circuit from another carrier. As a result, pricing varies for these services, but you could expect 10Gbps internet access to range from $6,000/mo to $15,000/mo. But we've delivered 10Gbps WAN for as low as $1,200/mo to school districts - adding internet access increases costs of course.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
15 posts Page 1 of 2