long term, faster speeds?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 2 of 2
by bmah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:40 am
pockyken007 wrote:Dane as far as I know most commercial NIC's are only capable of pushing 1 gig speeds are you guys going to do full set up ( including the NIC and modem capable of doing 10 gigs ) for the end user ?
In the world of R&E networking (my day job), 1G NICs are slow, 10G is commonplace, and it's when you get to 40G or 100G that things start becoming really interesting. :-)

Bruce.
by pockyken007 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 pm
dane wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:Dane as far as I know most commercial NIC's are only capable of pushing 1 gig speeds are you guys going to do full set up ( including the NIC and modem capable of doing 10 gigs ) for the end user ?
We've been talking that over here. Yes, for that lucky winner, actually achieving maximum speed will be a unique challenge. :lol: While we can't really provide someone with a new PC, we have had success testing here with modern Mac systems that have Thunderbolt 3 with an external adaptor, and we might toss one of those in. There are also PCI Express interfaces for Windows/Linux hosts available.

Out of curiosity to achieve 10 gigs do you guys aggregate bunch of smaller lanes and create 10 gigs if so what hardware do you use to get that done ?
As for the end user LOL , yeah getting 10 gigs while nice is crazy costly to actually achieve on a PC but hey if you guys are willing to work it out with the end user more power to you ( would love to see speedtest screenshots once it's done ) as well as hardware used :)

may the gigs always be with you :)
by pockyken007 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:29 pm
bmah wrote:
In the world of R&E networking (my day job), 1G NICs are slow, 10G is commonplace, and it's when you get to 40G or 100G that things start becoming really interesting. :-)

Bruce.

I have seen speeds this high when I worked at LBNL ( Berkeley National Lab ) .... most business places though run on anywhere from 150mbps -500mbps-1gig seeing anything higher than that is pretty rare , but hey man more power to you , you get to play with some nice speeds there :)
by bmah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:50 pm
pockyken007 wrote:I have seen speeds this high when I worked at LBNL ( Berkeley National Lab ) .... most business places though run on anywhere from 150mbps -500mbps-1gig seeing anything higher than that is pretty rare , but hey man more power to you , you get to play with some nice speeds there :)
Haha. That's where I work. I'm a software engineer with the Energy Sciences Network (LBNL Scientific Networking Division). :-)

Bruce.
by pockyken007 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm
bmah wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:I have seen speeds this high when I worked at LBNL ( Berkeley National Lab ) .... most business places though run on anywhere from 150mbps -500mbps-1gig seeing anything higher than that is pretty rare , but hey man more power to you , you get to play with some nice speeds there :)
Haha. That's where I work. I'm a software engineer with the Energy Sciences Network (LBNL Scientific Networking Division). :-)

Bruce.

ahhh that explains a lot :P
15 posts Page 2 of 2