Adding filters to DSL modem?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by krellan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 pm
Good news: An AT&T senior technician was seen in my neighborhood. I mentioned my DSL problem to him: AM radio interference. It's killing my DSL at frequencies that correspond to nearby strong AM stations (680, 740, 810). The rest of the frequencies are fine, though, so my DSL is stable, even though I had to downgrade the speed from 6M to 3M.

This guy was super sharp, not like the typical AT&T technicians that I see. He had a heavy-duty truck, complete with a cherry picker, not just a van. So, this caught my curiosity, and we talked a while.

He was replacing the grounding braid coming down from the telephone poles, because the grounding braid had been completely snapped, it was just a strand of wire hanging down from above. It's amazing how other AT&T technicians missed seeing this, since it was in plain sight all along. Guess none of us thought to look there!

I'm really hoping, that with improved grounding, the DSL line won't act as an AM antenna as much anymore.

He also recommended that I add filters to my DSL modem. I already have a little cylindrical thing that snaps along the power cable to the modem, and that seems to help, a little. I probably need a better filter.

Has anybody else at Sonic encountered AM radio interference? Is there a particular filter that would be recommended?

Should filters be put around the data line also, or would that hurt the data signal?

Much thanks for any advice!

Josh
1 post Page 1 of 1