Gigabit in Larkspur?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by LarkspurNerd » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:01 pm
Hey

Was wondering if there are any plans for the area?

Thanks
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:37 am
LarkspurNerd wrote:Hey

Was wondering if there are any plans for the area?

Thanks
Not yet, but we expect to extend our backbone there for SMART as their expansion occurs, so that helps us with some fiber assets in the area.

But for any areas we have not yet announced, we can't provide any specifics. Our goal is to build fiber in every community, and we are making good progress toward that. Today, one third of Sonic customers are connected on our own gigabit fiber. And as each new community reaches the stage of engineering where we have solid information about which premises we can reach and we've lined up construction to them, they go live for ordering on the website.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by LarkspurNerd » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:03 pm
Thanks for the update.

SMART looks to be there by end of 2019.
I know that you cant promise anything but there are a couple of large communities located less than .5 mile from the station. What requirements are you guys looking at before extending into a community. I assume there must be some sort of population density that makes certain areas more attractive than others? What about local city councils and permits? Do you bump into red tape a lot?

Basically, what can I do to help you, help me get rid of Comcast. :)
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:34 pm
LarkspurNerd wrote:Thanks for the update.

SMART looks to be there by end of 2019.
I know that you cant promise anything but there are a couple of large communities located less than .5 mile from the station. What requirements are you guys looking at before extending into a community. I assume there must be some sort of population density that makes certain areas more attractive than others? What about local city councils and permits? Do you bump into red tape a lot?

Basically, what can I do to help you, help me get rid of Comcast. :)
Our goal is to build the entire Bay Area, the state, and then the country. We're making progress toward that, with communities including San Francisco, Albany, Berkeley and Northern Oakland now well underway, on top of our early efforts in spots like Sebastopol and Brentwood.

Clearly there are things that cities can do which make the process slower and more complex, and we've experienced those in some communities. For example, San Francisco's disallowance of all trenchless construction has resulted in a reduction in scope of potential coverage there. That said, at this stage there is nothing specific that a community like Larkspur needs to do in order to allow for the potential for expansion there.

We are talking with some communities about ballot initiatives for buildout, including some communities in Marin. We'll see if leadership takes an interest in that concept and if so, we'll have more to say on that idea.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by LarkspurNerd » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:22 pm
Hey

Now SMART is live, how does it look with Sonic Gigabit?

Thanks
5 posts Page 1 of 1