Sonic Fiber into Rockridge?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
47 posts Page 3 of 5
by astrorob » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 pm
dane wrote:
astrorob wrote:any plans to pull fiber in upper rockridge where utilities are undergrounded? ATT is so far a no-show here, or is only nibbling at the edges of the neighborhood.

So, the short answer is, no. The longer answer is, we are scaling up a lot, all around the Bay Area, and in most regions, aerial served homes will be connected first, then we'll "dig" :lol: into the underground processes in each region and assess our next steps.
thank you for the reply, Dane. i guess that's sort of what i expected to hear. what kind of timeframes are you thinking about? 5 years? 10 years? hopefully oakland is not hostile to the microtrenching stuff.

i do wonder though, with all the undergrounded utilities already in place, aren't there conduits under the streets for electric and cable TV already? are you forbidden from using those rights-of-way, or are they simply not designed to have new cables pulled through them?
by packeted » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:41 am
Hello neighbors,

I'm on Shattuck between 59th and 60th and have been waiting patiently on the pre-order last for a year. I saw some pretty heavy duty black conduit being installed along the poles on Shattuck today, maybe it's coming?!? :) Fingers crossed for an installation soon.

Cheers,
Francis
by packeted » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:30 pm
Hey Dane, just wondering if there's any update on this FDA 8A/8B for Shattuck & 58th - 60th St? I did see some pretty serious cabling going up on the poles across the street a couple of weeks ago, hoping we're still on track :)
dane wrote:
Local wrote:
aanon wrote:58th and Shattuck
Wondering about this as well (basically the same location - hello neighbor?).

What "FDA" is this considered?
I noticed in another thread Dane posting areas going active by their "FDA" numbers (with the numbers seemingly corresponding to some map on Sonic's end).
I'm wondering what "FDA" this area is considered so that we could at least know what numbers to look out for, to see if it's approaching (if it's not already). What "FDA" numbers are nearby (in case our actual location happens to be an edge case where 58th & Shattuck is the border to a different FDA).

Thanks!
You'd likely be in FDA 8A or 8B in Job 2 in that region. The expected in-service date at the moment is 2/12/2019, which is 90 days from today. I'm hopeful that we'll meet that, but there are many variables that can help or hinder us as we build and activate network segments. Here's the map of those two FDAs, FYI:
by lylebarrere » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:49 pm
dane wrote:I'll ask Engineering to give it another look now.
Happy new year Dane!

Any update from engineering? What sort of bracing did engineering think needed to be installed? CPUC is reporting that the pole is safe and not overloaded but I didn't ask them about bracing. I can follow up with them if I know what is needed,
by jappelman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:20 pm
Is there an ETA for Fairview St between Shattuck and Wheeler? Wondering if the mid-Feb estimate given for 58th/Shattuck would apply to us, but I haven't seen trucks around here yet so guessing not.
by ilovefiber » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:38 pm
When is fiber coming to the center of Rockridge (Oak Grove Ave. specifically)? It was supposed to arrive Sept 2018 but we keep getting told it's delayed and might not even arrive in 2019. Should I cancel the pre-order?
by GrantMeTheSerenity » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 am
[color=darkred][b]dane[/b][/color] wrote:You'd likely be in FDA 8A or 8B in Job 2 in that region. The expected in-service date at the moment is 2/12/2019, which is 90 days from today. I'm hopeful that we'll meet that, but there are many variables that can help or hinder us as we build and activate network segments. Here's the map of those two FDAs, FYI: <deleted image>
I guess add me to the growing list of people in our area (Bushrod/Rockridge) wondering what is happening.

Any update on the above FDA's? FDA 8A, 8B.
We're located around ~Aileen St & Dover St.
Can't tell if these are in the above FDA's as the image posted earlier in the quoted post was taken down.

It's been 3 months now to the day since the 2/12/2019 "conservative" estimate. That was now yesterday and we've yet to hear any update beyond the generic emails, which seem to essentially just be saying: "we're still working on it!"

Initially we were told it'd be ready September (of 2018.. last year). Knowing that, we didn't bother to buy a modem and just figured to rent the modem from Comcast for the few months to tie us over - but by now, buying the modem would've paid for itself and we would've been saving every month. There are other decisions we'd made based around the stated "September 2018" estimate, all of which we've been burned on.

Honestly don't know what to make of any of this. I know it's not your fault personally, Dane, and I know everyone here legitimately appreciates your interaction here with the community. It is completely unexpected, and I think speaks very positively about your company. So, thank you if you are able to provide any further input (or insight) on this - it is all greatly appreciated. Please understand the "passion" you see here inquiring about your product is not meant to be pestering, but because we are all so excited to get started with you guys!
by signal » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:39 pm
Hi, I wasn't even aware that fiber was pending here in the Rockridge. I see that people have been preordering service-- how did you get the word? Checking with Sonic directly or did they contact you? Anyway, anyone have any idea if fiber will be available on Locksley any time soon?
by emontero7 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:00 pm
Any update on Benvenue Ave in Oakland? I see you had a soft estimate of 2/12, and was wondering if you had a better idea now? Looking forward to it!
by Cliff Stoll » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:08 am
Bump -- Any progress? Any news?

I keep seeing references to FDA and FDA Maps. What are these? Where can I see them?
47 posts Page 3 of 5