Sonic Fiber into Rockridge?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
47 posts Page 4 of 5
by packeted » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:51 pm
Hi folks,

Also keen to get an update at 5965 Shattuck Avenue.

I noticed lots of AT&T trucks on the street last week although they seemed to be doing work underground along Shattuck.

Looking on the poles directly outside I'm wondering if fiber has already been installed - here are some photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ETWe4eFWt34T181Y9

The loops look suspiciously like fiber to me, could that be Sonic?

Cheers
by digitalbitstream » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:43 pm
Count.
Lowest bundle of wires is AT&T.
Next up a slim cable TV wire.
If you've got wires above that, probably sonic. Get binoculars and look for the orange tags.
by Cliff Stoll » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:08 pm
Bronco Communications seem to be the installers for Sonic's fiber, at least around Berkeley/Elmwood and Oakland/Rockridge. As of today 2019-March-8, they have installed fiber from Berkeley all the way to Benvenue & Alcatraz (in Oakland, near the College Safeway). YIPPEE!
by packeted » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:15 am
I looked a bit more carefully and the cable that looks like fiber is actually where my Comcast comes from. I'm assuming that Comcast run fiber up to some boxes on the poles that then convert to a normal coax?

I guess Sonic has not made it as far as Shattuck & 60th St then... Hoping we'll see some progress!
by harshay » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:17 pm
Hey Dane,

Any update on Bushrod rollout? Specifically Shattuck Ave between Alcatraz and 63rd? (Block 6300)

I tried reaching out to Sonic support last weekend but they didn't have any additional information. Spotted some Sonic installation trucks just a couple blocks away in Berkeley. Is the Oakland rollout delayed?
by aolmos » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:29 pm
Dane, please have someone look at the map for Thomas Ave in Oakland, CA 94618. The very start of the 5300 block by Broadway Terrace has underground wiring and has been skipped by AT&T. The rest of the 5300 block and 5400 block all the way to Monroe Ave has above ground telephone poles. Fiber optic wiring has been at 5300 / 5400 Broadway for years. It can be run along the telephone poles on Napa St to Thomas Ave. It's a little over 100 feet from where the fiber is right now to my house and all reachable by above ground telephone pole. I can literally look out my window and see the fiber. It's killing me that even if I offer to pay for the installation of the last 100 feet of fiber, no one is even willing to listen or consider that option! This is an edge case that has been overlooked for a long time. People just type the address into a database, it says Fiber not available, and they give in to their computer overlord. Help!!
Thanks!!
by aanon » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:14 pm
I saw some Bronco trucks stringing steel cable up near Bushrod this morning. Hopefully the fiber follows shortly!
by dane » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:32 pm
aolmos wrote:Dane, please have someone look at the map for Thomas Ave in Oakland, CA 94618. The very start of the 5300 block by Broadway Terrace has underground wiring and has been skipped by AT&T. The rest of the 5300 block and 5400 block all the way to Monroe Ave has above ground telephone poles. Fiber optic wiring has been at 5300 / 5400 Broadway for years. It can be run along the telephone poles on Napa St to Thomas Ave. It's a little over 100 feet from where the fiber is right now to my house and all reachable by above ground telephone pole. I can literally look out my window and see the fiber. It's killing me that even if I offer to pay for the installation of the last 100 feet of fiber, no one is even willing to listen or consider that option! This is an edge case that has been overlooked for a long time. People just type the address into a database, it says Fiber not available, and they give in to their computer overlord. Help!!
Thanks!!
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the various geographical references here - I'd just need the address where you want service in order to look at this.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aolmos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:04 pm
Please check 5405 Thomas Ave. Oakland 94618 for Fiber availability.
My bet is it has fallen off the map and is in limbo even though there is Fiber 100 feet away on Broadway two telephone poles away.
by telemenar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:40 pm
If I can see a new wire this week on my street tagged with “Sonic Telecom” does that mean fiber will be available to install soon?
47 posts Page 4 of 5