Sonic Fiber into Rockridge?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
47 posts Page 1 of 5
by Cliff Stoll » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:12 pm
Just got off the phone with Charlie in Sonic Sales -- great guy!

We've been happy Sonic fusion DSL'ers for the past 15 years. Zero outages, zero troubles, lots of good feelings. Yep, we've signed up for Gigabit fiber, Original promise was September/October; now there's a delay.

I see that AT&T has pulled fiber along our street (Colby Street). A week ago, a technician was sorting & terminating fibers on the pole in front of our house (Colby & 62nd St), in North Oakland / lower Rockridge.

Several questions:

- Will Sonic also pull fiber along our street?
- If yes, then what's an current guesstimate of when?
- If Sonic does not pull fiber where AT&T has fiber, then can we get Sonic Gigabit through that AT&T fiber?

Many thanks all around!
-Cliff Stoll
by dane » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm
Yes, if we've told you our fiber is coming, it is!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am
Can we get an update on construction delays in Rockridge/ south Shattuck?

I have gotten a stock "It's coming at the end of the month!" answer whenever talking to sales for the last 3 months.
by dane » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:34 am
aanon wrote:Can we get an update on construction delays in Rockridge/ south Shattuck?

I have gotten a stock "It's coming at the end of the month!" answer whenever talking to sales for the last 3 months.
What's the address or nearest intersection?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 am
58th and Shattuck
by lylebarrere » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:28 pm
Hey Dane,

We're on Colby street too, I watched the ATT truck install fiber along our street and I see the orange tags with our address on them, but the online availability checker only has the options for "Sonic supported internet delivered over AT&T's fiber network, plus one home phone line." If I enter next door neighbors' (on both sides) address it says "Pre-order Sonic Gigabit Fiber to be first in line!" and offers the same 1000 Mbps service for half the price.

I've been working with your support team because it used to only show very slow DSL service over ATT for my address, but would love an update.
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:40 am
lylebarrere wrote:Hey Dane,

We're on Colby street too, I watched the ATT truck install fiber along our street and I see the orange tags with our address on them, but the online availability checker only has the options for "Sonic supported internet delivered over AT&T's fiber network, plus one home phone line." If I enter next door neighbors' (on both sides) address it says "Pre-order Sonic Gigabit Fiber to be first in line!" and offers the same 1000 Mbps service for half the price.

I've been working with your support team because it used to only show very slow DSL service over ATT for my address, but would love an update.
I'd need the address to be able to tell you anything. I did look at Colby St in our GIS system, and I see a hole where Alta Bates is, but need to inquire with our team on why there isn't coverage there, I do see poles.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Local » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm
aanon wrote:58th and Shattuck
Wondering about this as well (basically the same location - hello neighbor?).

What "FDA" is this considered?
I noticed in another thread Dane posting areas going active by their "FDA" numbers (with the numbers seemingly corresponding to some map on Sonic's end).
I'm wondering what "FDA" this area is considered so that we could at least know what numbers to look out for, to see if it's approaching (if it's not already). What "FDA" numbers are nearby (in case our actual location happens to be an edge case where 58th & Shattuck is the border to a different FDA).

Thanks!
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 pm
Local wrote:
aanon wrote:58th and Shattuck
Wondering about this as well (basically the same location - hello neighbor?).

What "FDA" is this considered?
I noticed in another thread Dane posting areas going active by their "FDA" numbers (with the numbers seemingly corresponding to some map on Sonic's end).
I'm wondering what "FDA" this area is considered so that we could at least know what numbers to look out for, to see if it's approaching (if it's not already). What "FDA" numbers are nearby (in case our actual location happens to be an edge case where 58th & Shattuck is the border to a different FDA).

Thanks!
You'd likely be in FDA 8A or 8B in Job 2 in that region. The expected in-service date at the moment is 2/12/2019, which is 90 days from today. I'm hopeful that we'll meet that, but there are many variables that can help or hinder us as we build and activate network segments. Here's the map of those two FDAs, FYI:

Dane Jasper
Sonic
by astrorob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 pm
any plans to pull fiber in upper rockridge where utilities are undergrounded? ATT is so far a no-show here, or is only nibbling at the edges of the neighborhood.
47 posts Page 1 of 5