Sonic Fiber into Rockridge?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
47 posts Page 2 of 5
by dane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:21 am
astrorob wrote:any plans to pull fiber in upper rockridge where utilities are undergrounded? ATT is so far a no-show here, or is only nibbling at the edges of the neighborhood.
We are currently focused on the much larger number of homes in the region that have aerial served utilities.

While pole engineering and the process of aerial construction are reasonably consistent, building to those that are served with underground facilities is dependant upon local municipal standards. We haven't done the research to see if that area has standards for microtrenching in place today, for example. Most cities do not yet, so it's a bit of a task to get through that process.

There is also wide variability in the processes for directional drilling, reinstatement, permit and inspection fees, etc. For example, we recently completed a job in a city where they require and hired a full-time inspector to observe our drill crew as we worked, at a pretty significant expense. The inspector cost a surprising percentage of our total crew cost, substantially increasing the cost of the project. We will avoid working in that City again unless the economics of the network we are building support it.

So, the short answer is, no. The longer answer is, we are scaling up a lot, all around the Bay Area, and in most regions, aerial served homes will be connected first, then we'll "dig" :lol: into the underground processes in each region and assess our next steps.

I should also say, uptake success drives how far we can build the network. In other words, if only 15% of homes subscribe, we can only build aerial regions that are lower cost. But if 50% of homes subscribe, we can feasibly build almost anything. This is why for those of you that are located in areas we are not yet reaching, it is particularly important to spread the word about what we are doing - our success in uptake is what drives our expansion! So, tell folks on Nextdoor, on Facebook, at a party, etc about Sonic and our mission, because this results in the best hope for reaching all of you.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lylebarrere » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:28 am
dane wrote:
lylebarrere wrote:Hey Dane,

We're on Colby street too, I watched the ATT truck install fiber along our street and I see the orange tags with our address on them, but the online availability checker only has the options for "Sonic supported internet delivered over AT&T's fiber network, plus one home phone line." If I enter next door neighbors' (on both sides) address it says "Pre-order Sonic Gigabit Fiber to be first in line!" and offers the same 1000 Mbps service for half the price.

I've been working with your support team because it used to only show very slow DSL service over ATT for my address, but would love an update.
I'd need the address to be able to tell you anything. I did look at Colby St in our GIS system, and I see a hole where Alta Bates is, but need to inquire with our team on why there isn't coverage there, I do see poles.
Dane we’re at 6441 Colby Street in Oakland. We a few blocks south of Alta Bates. Thanks!
by dane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am
lylebarrere wrote:Dane we’re at 6441 Colby Street in Oakland. We a few blocks south of Alta Bates. Thanks!
Looking at the engineering, it appears that this pole is the issue: https://goo.gl/maps/EauYjiEPV1H2

Our records say that it needs to be reinforced by PG&E before anything new can be attached to it. That blocks our deployment, requiring us to stop just South of this pole.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Chefreezi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 am
Hello! I pre-ordered Fiber to our home in Rockridge, in about April 2018, at that time the estimate was September 2018 completion. I realize there have been delays.

Can you give me an update for my address and an ETA for completion?

6439 Benvenue Ave
by dane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am
Chefreezi wrote:Hello! I pre-ordered Fiber to our home in Rockridge, in about April 2018, at that time the estimate was September 2018 completion. I realize there have been delays.

Can you give me an update for my address and an ETA for completion?

6439 Benvenue Ave
Did you get an update email from us, a few weeks ago?

We've got a soft estimate of 2/12/2019 at this point, but due to the issues we've experienced, we're not confident enough to stand behind this and publish it as a firm estimate.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lylebarrere » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:18 pm
dane wrote:
lylebarrere wrote:Dane we’re at 6441 Colby Street in Oakland. We a few blocks south of Alta Bates. Thanks!
Looking at the engineering, it appears that this pole is the issue: https://goo.gl/maps/EauYjiEPV1H2

Our records say that it needs to be reinforced by PG&E before anything new can be attached to it. That blocks our deployment, requiring us to stop just South of this pole.
Hey Dane,

When support told me the issue was that pole I contacted CPUC at Tyler in support's request and worked with Anwar Safvi, Utilities Engineer, CPUC to get the PG&E building renovations department to redo the load calculations. Their tech confirmed to me and to CPUC in writing that the pole was not overloaded and could get more attachments a few weeks ago. Then AT&T came and added the new fiber for their run last week. Is there anyone else I should work with to get that pole repaired/replaced/recertified?
by lylebarrere » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:29 pm
dane wrote:

Hey Dane just following up to see who at PGE or CPUC I need to talk to to get that updated and/or repaired/reinforced/replaced as both PGE's renovations department and CPUC say the pole is not overloaded and is capable of more attachments.
by dane » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:49 pm
I'll ask Engineering to give it another look now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by maxinegerb@gmail.com » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:35 pm
I live at the corner of 61st Street and Hillegass. What's the estimate for fiber to our house? It was originally scheduled for September.
by lylebarrere » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 pm
dane wrote:I'll ask Engineering to give it another look now.
Hey Dane, Just following up on what engineering said. Do you know in which manner it would need to be reinforced or who at PGE/CPUC I would need to talk to? Can you explain why ATT is able to attach new fiber service to that pole, but not Sonic? I assume it is incumbent players trying to stop new comers like Sonic.
47 posts Page 2 of 5