Gigabit Fiber Emeryville availability / delays?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by brainticket » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 am
Hello,
I'm one of the ones who made a pre-order of Sonic Gigabit Fiber around 2 months ago, which was supposed to be ready for activation between the 15th and 30th of November. Now I've gotten a construction update email about "delays", doesn't say much useful, something about no construction allowed in the downtown areas during the holiday season, but I'm in Eville, not Downtown Berkeley or Oakland. I even expect our City Council to be quicker with any approvals than the others in the EastBay and not causing delays.
I've also moved not long ago and pre-ordered Sonic because of that, I didn't want to sign up with AT&T or Comcast, and currently I'm bridging my Internet gap with higher cellular data plans and tethering. This was meant to be short-time, as it ain't cheap. I've even contacted customer service beforehand about the November date and possible delays and I was assured that the November dates are typically fairly accurate.
The construction update email also stated that I'll get a re-evaluated date and more info in the first week of each month, which would be December in this case. But hey, it also had a number to call for a quick update, but after calling I was told they don't know more than I do...
So, does anybody here know what's going on? If the construction will take significantly longer, I'll have to look for a different provider. Which I will do anyways if can't get any updates.

Thanks!
by dane » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:35 am
What's the address or street and nearest intersection?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by brainticket » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm
It's at 47th Street and Adeline Street.
Sorry if my previous post sounded pretentious...
At my old place I had Webpass Gigabit and was very satisfied, so I was really excited to pre-order Sonic Fiber for my new place and not having to pick between Comcast and AT&T. As I'm all in favor of your support for net-neutrality and no data caps as well as being a local business and offering competitive rates.
I'm just trying to get an update on what kind of delays you're dealing with in my area and a re-evaluated date for my pre-order, if I'm even affected by those delays. Because if it would be significantly delayed, I'll have to look for something else than using my cellular plans in the interim.
Any update / info would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Thomas
by brainticket » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm
This morning I got an update email that the construction is about to be completed this month.
Coincidentally, yesterday evening at around 8pm somebody from AT&T knocked on my door, wanting to sell me Fiber Internet ;)
by gimmefiber » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm
November has come and gone, would love an update on the fiber roll out in the area. We are at 44th and Adeline. Thanks!
by brainticket » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 pm
Yeah, same here.
Only the general “December update” email.
Customer service can’t even tell me if it might be completed by the end of the year, or within 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. They just don’t provide any estimates at all anymore to not dissatisfy anyone. That’s why I’ve given up on updates.
It will come when it’s ready.
by billewood » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:37 am
Hi, I've been waiting on Sonic fiber for months (years?)- which is what it is, I'm not here to complain. But my cable modem/router is starting to fail so I'm going to replace it soon, and if I shell out $$$ to replace it I'm probably not going to want to switch to fiber anytime soon thereafter- so what's the realistic time-frame here? I'm near 42nd and Market, Emeryville/Oakland border, but in Oakland.
by pixiestix » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:04 pm
I pre-ordered Sonic in December 2017...still anxiously waiting. The monthly update emails say they are in the neighborhood...but still no Sonic for me (near 61st and Doyle). I see ads for AT&T fiber...but am holding out. I see the CEO was on this thread. Any estimates of how much longer until we'll get Sonic for all of Eville?
by sonichaley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:10 pm
Same as above - pre-ordered in Dec-2017 with estimate of Nov-2018 install, but still nothing...I'm at 45th and Market.

Not complaining, just (trying to remain) patiently waiting. The email updates have dropped off in details the last few months so I honestly have no idea where we stand, although I've seen Sonic trucks in the area recently. Hoping it's soon :/
9 posts Page 1 of 1