Issue - Apple mail - outgoing SMTP mail.sonic.net - Port 465

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by poodlebug » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 pm
Hi,

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get Mail to send. I use Gmail IMAP and have set up out going mail server via Sonic (SMTP).

I'm using OSX 10.6. I'm use the same Sonic username and password that I logged onto this forum with. (not an email address)

Settings:

Server name: mail.sonic.net
Use custom port: 465
Secure socket layer: Tried with and without
User name and Password as mentioned...

No luck at all. Any help appreciated. Incoming mail is fine.

Thanks
by thulsa_doom » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:36 pm
It appears you were authenticating fine yesterday, but our outgoing mail server has a number of " did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA" errors in its log for your IP address. A quick web search did not yield any ready explanation as to why Apple Mail would do that. That said, supposedly it can help if you uncheck the "use name and password" option, though I do not know why.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by poodlebug » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:03 pm
I tried unchecking user name and password no luck. Would it be anything to do with modem firewall or gmail settings at all? I'm just using gmail webmail for now. Thanks
by hexapuma » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:42 pm
Try port 587. According to Wikipedia, port 465 is deprecated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mai ... r_Protocol
by poodlebug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:27 pm
Thanks.

Tried it - still no luck. :cry:

There is something funky going on. Annoying! It just says (Offline). I have tried just about every setting.

Are there any modem settings that would upset this? Maybe it is on Sonics end?
Is the password and user name the same as I used to log into this forum?

Attachments

by kavan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 pm
I have seen firewalls cause this issue (since you mentioned one in your earlier post). Can you bypass your firewall and connect directly to the DSL modem to see if that works? Gmail and modem settings should not cause this.
by poodlebug » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:03 am
I'll try this - good idea. The modem has a firewall and so does my Mac. I can switch both off. I had one test email go through and now another... they took a really long time though - as if they weren't going to go? Random...
by poodlebug » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:05 pm
I was under the impression that I needed to set up Sonic to handle the Outgoing mail for Gmail. I spoke to a representative and said it would work better if I had Gmail handle its own outgoing mail - faster etc. Gmail outgoing mail wasn't working for me so I went through and changed the custom port to 465 and hey presto. Thanks for all your help.
8 posts Page 1 of 1