Unlimited internet over 2 separate Gigabit Ports

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by bubba198 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:22 pm
Hi Sonic, so how does this work? Unlimited internet over 2 separate Gigabit Ports? Do I get 2 separate ONTs each connected to a separate aerial drop and then what? How would the ONTs aggregate for the 2G? Or is the second one just as hot-spare for redundancy?

If they aggregate together past the ONT's Ethernet interfaces (into some kind of router that you provide) that's cool but on the WAN-facing side both ONTs will end up in the same passive splitter on the pole which then feeds into a single port on the OLT and the drop between the OLT and the passive splitter is still 1G on the upload no? (2.8G or so on the download)? So how does it come close to 2G then for the upload direction (I get it that the download can be aggregated to a true 2G)?

My question has to do with the highly asymmetric rates between OLT-ONT and the 2G number on the screen shot below.

Thank you!
sonic4.png
sonic4.png (52.59 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
by Larns576 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:45 pm
Sounds like this plan
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7280&hilit=Small+Business

by dane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am
Sonic is now offering our Fusion Fiber service to businesses, including SOHO, at 2Gbps/1Gbps, an upgrade from our standard residential offering which is 1Gbps/1Gbps. The service delivery is via a new four-port ONT, which offers four gigabit Ethernet ports, and up to 2Gbps of aggregate downstream capacity. This really ends up being two separate networks, with their own IP addresses, so while 2Gbps of aggregate capacity is available, it's 2x1Gbps links.

The primary application we see is small businesses setting up two different networks, one for their own business operations, and a separate one for their customers who are visiting. And we can help with that application, pairing each up with its own Eero mesh network, for example!
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic
by aanon4 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 pm
A single fiber has enough capacity to provide 2G down and 1G up and from what @dane said previously they just present the user with 2 1G ethernet connections. I was planning to multi-home this using pfSense.

What I want to know is, since you're paying 2x the price for not quite 2x the service (the uplink speed doesn't improve) do you at least get the whole fiber to yourself or is it still split with your neighbors - just you getting 2 TDM slots rather than 1?
3 posts Page 1 of 1