New fusion service: slow speeds and phone interference

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by NewDalyCityCustomer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 pm
Hi. Our household switched from AT&T land line and HSI DSL service to fusion today at 11AM, and the service has been extremely slow. It took me about 3 hours to download a 28MB file and at speedtest.net we are getting download speeds of .1 to .4 Mbps, with around .7Mbps being the max. I am really impressed by the ping and the upload speed, but the download speed just isn't going to cut it. I realize that because I am 10700ft from the CO, my DL speeds will suffer, but it should not be to that extent? Is this slow speed due to the fact that we have recently installed our service, our is this going to be a permanent thing?

Also, as when we have had AT&T there has been interference from the phone, and whenever someone calls, the internet will drop for a while. We have checked all our phones and installed all the necessary filters, yet this problem still arises. With sonic, I get the page that tells me that there is interference from the phone line. It is really annoying to be browsing the internet and have it drop because someone calls home.

I just want to know if the issue will be worked out on its own or if I have to take action to fix it, and if so what should I do? I appreciate all your hard work and I just hope this issue can be resolved promptly. Thanks!
by dane » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm
Sounds like a wiring problem of some sort. If you're sure you've got filters properly installed, I'd suggest phoning support for assistance. They may have you test at a test jack on the network interface if it is accessible, or they may dispatch a technician to sort out the issue.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nothappysf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 pm
I am experiencing a similar issue with my service.. At some point today this service became really slow very much similar to the original poster. This morning at 9am it was fine by the time I got home it was horrible :(
by dane » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 pm
nothappysf wrote:I am experiencing a similar issue with my service.. At some point today this service became really slow very much similar to the original poster. This morning at 9am it was fine by the time I got home it was horrible :(
Is this newly installed service, or has it been established and fine for some time?

If you'd like to check things yourself, see this forum post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=196

However, for many circuit troubles, a call to support is your best action. Here is their contact info: http://www.sonic.net/support/index.shtml
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nothappysf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:11 pm
We have had this service for about 4 months with no real issues... I mean some slowness but this has been the worst we have seen it. I have put in a support ticket!
by dane » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 am
nothappysf wrote:We have had this service for about 4 months with no real issues... I mean some slowness but this has been the worst we have seen it. I have put in a support ticket!
Sounds good. For circuit instability, you can check things like assuring you have filters on all telephone devices (including satellite boxes, DVRs like TiVo, etc), and you can test at the network test jack if you have one (small grey box on side of house, typically), but beyond that, a call or email to support would be your next step. Support is local, friendly and available, so don't put off calling them while putting up with frustrating or unreliable connectivity.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by georgeharter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:51 pm
This is more of a reply to Dane than the people having start-up problems, but really the same issue. When I call Customer Support they will look in a binder or file for a check list of things to ask about. Why isn't that checklist on-line in "Set Up" or "Fix?" The two problems I had at the start of service were modem configuration and house wiring. More specifically, the information I needed to reconfigure the ZTE W300 gateway for dynamic IP (not set right on my modem) was not in your on-line summary for that product, and my home alarm system interfered with the higher speed DSL signal which required a special filter or line splitter at the entry point of my house telephone lines. The best way to improve customer service is to not have more people like me call, but to give them complete and accurate information at the start of service. That would free up your support staff to focus on people that really required phone assistance.
by dane » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:22 pm
georgeharter wrote:This is more of a reply to Dane than the people having start-up problems, but really the same issue. When I call Customer Support they will look in a binder or file for a check list of things to ask about. Why isn't that checklist on-line in "Set Up" or "Fix?" The two problems I had at the start of service were modem configuration and house wiring. More specifically, the information I needed to reconfigure the ZTE W300 gateway for dynamic IP (not set right on my modem) was not in your on-line summary for that product, and my home alarm system interfered with the higher speed DSL signal which required a special filter or line splitter at the entry point of my house telephone lines. The best way to improve customer service is to not have more people like me call, but to give them complete and accurate information at the start of service. That would free up your support staff to focus on people that really required phone assistance.
Yes, I certainly agree! We are working on more and better documentation, and I also believe that these searchable Forums are also an asset. The search box on the support page yields results from here, and the knowledgebase.

See also: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Main_Page and the Fusion Troubleshooting guide here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=196
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by georgeharter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 pm
Just my point. Neither of the links really discuss home wiring problems in detail - a very important issue for higher speed DSL. Information that may solve many problems with sync and speed is hard to find anywhere other than a thorough seach on the internet. Definitely not a focus on Sonic Setup. As Sonic expands into the neighborhoods in the inner Bay Area with 100+ year old homes home wiring is a big deal.
by dane » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 pm
georgeharter wrote:Just my point. Neither of the links really discuss home wiring problems in detail - a very important issue for higher speed DSL. Information that may solve many problems with sync and speed is hard to find anywhere other than a thorough seach on the internet. Definitely not a focus on Sonic Setup. As Sonic expands into the neighborhoods in the inner Bay Area with 100+ year old homes home wiring is a big deal.
Yes, we are working to build and deploy more documentation!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
11 posts Page 1 of 2