New fusion service: slow speeds and phone interference

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 2 of 2
by gourn3 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:30 pm
To the OP, I had the same problem when I signed up for Sonic fusion. I came from a somewhat steady DSL from AT&T (max speed I got was 2.5 mbps from a 3 mbps cap) to Fusion. Once I switched over to Sonic, I had endless problems with my DSL being cut, dropped, out of sync, ect ect. If I had a phone call, it would drop. If I didn't have a call, it would still drop. I made daily calls to Sonic support trying to get them to help me resolve the problems. Usually had to wait several minutes (although it seems they have really improved the wait times over the past months), but the Sonic support team is very nice, even if the customer isn't technically proficient (like me).

But back to the story, for the 1st month, had endless problems. Sonic sent over one of their technicians, and it fixed the problem for a while. Replaced all the DSL filters. My speeds ranged anywhere from 3 mbps - 4.5 mbps (with a 5 mbps cap, which I asked them to put there). There was also no charge applied from the visit. I was thrilled at the speed (since 2.5 mb was the max I got on AT&T DSL) so I asked them to raise the cap even higher. But then a couple weeks later, I still experienced disconnects. I also started getting static interference on the phone. It was pretty bad that the callers couldn't hear anything I say over the phone. On top of all that, my DSL speed slowed to .05 mbps. Called Sonic with my cell phone, and they told me that their software automatically slows the speed down to keep the connection stable (OP, this is probably what's keeping your speed so low). I told them to remove the auto slow down stability feature and my speed was back up. They also said they would have an AT&T technician come over.

The AT&T technician was supposed to show up on a Saturday, but never did. I called Sonic again and they said the Tech would come out on Monday. The guy shows up early, tells me I have 2 phone boxes (1 old, and a newer spare box). Says something about me still being on the old phone box, single pair line, instead of the new(er), spare phone box, with a twisted pair line. He spends a couple hours rewiring and fixing stuff on the telephone pole(s) outside, and everything started working properly. No more static interference. Still had some disconnects, but they were few and far between (nothing that a modem reset couldn't fix). Best of all, I still didn't have to pay for a tech visit.

After all of that, my speeds have never been better. I getting a constant and stable 4.2 mbps - 4.7 mbps connection. I may still be on a speed cap, but since it's been so stable, I'm not going to risk asking for a cap release and then something happens and I get unstable connections again.

But to sum everything up, Sonic support has been very nice and helpful, even though I was frustrated in the beginning. I don't regret moving to Sonic from AT&T at all. Overall, I am very happy with Sonic Fusion service! To the OP once again, don't hesitate to call and ask for a technician to come over. It sounds like the same problem I had: old wiring, inside (old phone box, single pair line) and outside.
11 posts Page 2 of 2