Fix for "No Internet Connection" on iOS Devices after Fiber Install

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by wfallen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 pm
1) My experience with Sonic over the years, and with the fiber install here in North Berkeley yesterday, has been stellar: Flawless connection, satisfying tech support, and good conversations with the guys working on the streets in my neighborhood. I can only assume that this 'energy' percolates down from the top.

I am impressed that Sonic is building out its own fiber-optic infrastructure, and presumably has no further need to piggyback off of AT&T. (The cost of the buildout must be astronomical.)

2) Following the installation of my fiber service yesterday, my Mac established an internet connection nicely. However, despite a green light showing on my Apple router, my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) were reporting “No internet connection.”

The first go at it was to pull the power plugs from the new modem and from my router, then replace them. No change.

A call to Tech Support revealed that my existing router settings needed to be edited. For an Apple Airport router, this is done using the Airport Utility application on the Mac. (Airport Utility is built into the Mac, and is downloadable from the App Store for iOS devices.)

What worked:

Open Airport Utility: Two icons show, one for ‘Internet’, the other for one’s ‘Network’ (and is so named).

Click on your network icon. In the resulting pop-up window, click ‘Edit’.

In Airport Utility, the proper ‘Network’ setting is DHCP and NAT.

The previous router mode setting, which had worked fine for my Mac and my iOS devices, had been DHCP. The above edit to the router settings enabled the iOS devices to connect to the internet.

Not checking my iPhone and iPad for an internet connection before the techs left here was an oversight. Though I don't know if the guys would have known how to edit the router settings.

Would having the installers be sure to ask customers if they have any iOS devices would be a good idea? Might save a call to Tech Support.

The above advice may apply to other brands of routers than Apple's, though how to get to those settings would be particular to those routers.

P.S. Confirmation codes are too difficult to decipher. And I'm a human.
1 post Page 1 of 1