Terrible Install Experience

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by ioftd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm
I was very excited to see that Sonic recently expanded Gigabit service to my new home in the Excelsior neighborhood in SF, but I had to cancel my order today after the third missed installation.

On the first installation date, PGE had cut power to my entire street for a couple hours and the installer said he would come back after the power was back. He never showed back up and my installation was rescheduled for the next week.

On the next installation date, no one showed up during the 2 hour installation window. After several phone calls to Sonic support, which assured me that someone would be coming, a technician showed up at 7:30pm (4.5 hours after the installation window passed), told me that it was too late to do the install and I was rescheduled for the next week.

Today, I had my third installation appointment between 11am to 1pm. At 1:30 I called Sonic support who said a tech had been assigned and would be here soon. An hour later I called back and customer support told me that the installer had come to my house and left because no one was home. I have been home all day, and left a note on the door with my phone number just in case. I am sure that no one ever came, despite what they say.

I understand the AT&T are the ones who actually do the install, and all of the Sonic representatives I have talked to have been kind and sympathetic. I was willing to give them a second and third chance since I have only heard good things about Sonic as a company and I know their service is the best and fastest available, but I cannot give a fourth chance.

I have been in my new home without internet for three weeks now. This bungled install process has cost me 3 of my vacation days (or hundreds of dollars if you want to look at it that way) since I had to stay home from work and couldn’t work remotely because I still don’t have internet.

I called Comcast, and since I already have a modem I can do a self-install and my Internet should be up and running by tomorrow morning. I am sorry to rant, but this was an extremely frustrating situation and I hope Sonic can prevent this type of thing from happening to someone else in the future.
by m.harmon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 am
I am very sorry you had such a rough experience. As you said ATT is doing the install but Sonic hired them and Sonic was the ISP in the situation and I apologize once again that we were unable to get you service on the first install. I would like to look into the case so I can see where the failure points were and see what improvements can be made. Would you mind sharing your Sonic username with me?
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by ioftd » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 pm
Thanks for the response. I had forgotten I had a specific Sonic username, it’s sdmoody.
by nico » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:05 pm
To echo this point about poor AT&T service. I am in the middle of an awful repair issue. Been out for 12 days and counting. 5 AT&T guys have come by and they don't share or read each other's notes. It's like a bad comedy. A guy comes, looks at our box next to the house, says the problem is not at the house and is 1200ft away, says they will call in a ticket. Rinse and repeat 4 more times. I tell Sonic to please tell AT&T to stop coming to the house because I can't just leave work for these days and wait around. Who can do that? Once they didn't show up. And they don't call when they are asked. Having AT&T as part of Sonic's business model is flawed. They have their own internet business and that is their primary support. I would not hinge my business on a competitor's whims.

Comcast can have me up in 3 days and I am going to go that route if this is not fixed tomorrow when the 5th technician says he will be back. I want Sonic to succeed but this is terrible.
4 posts Page 1 of 1