Fiber in Burlingame?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
20 posts Page 2 of 2
by bgamejl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:05 pm
got something on my door that sonic fiber construction crews will be working around my area and my need access to utility poles. so looks like there is progress for burlingame.
by asdfasf » Sat May 16, 2020 10:51 am
bgamegl, that's exciting.. Before the shutdown at the sunday market Sonic had a booth and I asked them of the plans and they thought Park road, where the open market is would be getting it this year. - although they were very clear that they really weren't up to speed on exactly where in Burlingame.

I live in close to Burlingame ave. Which part of Burlingame are you in?
by BurlingameBear » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:14 pm
Hi Sonic Team - Any updates on the availability of Gigabit Fiber in Burlingame? Many of us are working from home and it'd be great to have 1GB upload and download. Looking forward to switching over from Comcast!
by dane » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:04 am
BurlingameBear wrote:Hi Sonic Team - Any updates on the availability of Gigabit Fiber in Burlingame? Many of us are working from home and it'd be great to have 1GB upload and download. Looking forward to switching over from Comcast!
We have been activating networks in various neighborhoods of Burlingame over the last few months. We're making good progress there, so if you haven't pre-ordered, you should!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Anthony » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:15 pm
I have signed up for 1Gb in Burlingame for over 1year. The monthly emails are useless. They say that construction is 13% done in your area. But a map of activation with approximate dates would be very helpful, that way we would know when it is getting close. The monthly newsletters are so vague that we don't know if the same thing is going out to other cities, since the newsletter does not name a city in it. For all I know 13% activated can be in Redwood City or somewhere else instead of Burlingame. Please send out an activation map. I know of 5 people in Burlingame waiting for Sonic also, and all are getting frustrated.
Thank you,
Anthony
by Larns576 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:02 pm
They stopped providing completion estimates after the Berkeley fiber delays. They also don't provide activation maps, most likely due to competitors sneaking in where they plan to build. Too lazy to lookup all the threads where they talked about these various topics. Here's a recent one tho.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16047

Usually they build fiber in an "area", which pertains to a neighborhood or two. So the 13% is in fact your area as stated in the email. Sounds like they have quite a bit to go until completion.

If you are worried about being stuck in a contract with a competitor when fiber becomes available, Sonic does offer contract buyouts.

Don't worry, it's coming - just gotta be patient a bit longer. Just be glad it's Sonic fiber and not ATT fiber or Comcast's wanna-be fiber 1GbpsDL/25MbpsUL. They are many people desperate to be on a preorder. It's worth the wait.
by fantham » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm
dane wrote:
BurlingameBear wrote:Hi Sonic Team - Any updates on the availability of Gigabit Fiber in Burlingame? Many of us are working from home and it'd be great to have 1GB upload and download. Looking forward to switching over from Comcast!
We have been activating networks in various neighborhoods of Burlingame over the last few months. We're making good progress there, so if you haven't pre-ordered, you should!

Dane, How do I pre-order and where can I check status??

Dean
by bjeung » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:59 am
fantham wrote:
Dane, How do I pre-order and where can I check status??

Dean
You go to the website and order (if you don't already have Sonic service). If it's not available but expected to be you'll see a pre-order button. If you are already a Sonic customer you just wait. They will reach out when fiber is available because they want to get you off any copper or AT&T resold fiber.
by gfasoli » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:37 am
Hi
I’m in Redwood City with Fusion broadband service, getting 45 Mbps down and 6Mbps up.

We’re moving to Burlingame in a couple of months and was saddened to learn that the service there is 20 Mbps down and 2Mbps up (IPPB). The 60% hit for upstream is the kicker given all the video work going on for kids school.

My pre-order for Fiber has been placed a while back and I was wondering if it would translate over to our new location?

Thanks.
by gfasoli » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 am
Here's an interesting update: I spoke to AT&T and they seem to offer AT&T Fiber at the same location ...
20 posts Page 2 of 2