OpenVPN configuration for browser

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by katandjoey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Hi all, is there a way to configure a specific browser to to use the Sonic VPN service as a proxy server? As much as love using the OpenVPN client on my work computer, unfortunately I have to do work on the computer that requires that traffic comes from the office IP address.

I've tried to configure the proxy settings for Firefox, but that didn't work. I believe the Chrome and Safari proxy settings use the computer's proxy configuration so that won't work.

Anybody have any ideas? I guess I can have the external IP of the VPN whitelisted, but that might raise some sort of flag.

Just wondering if anybody has had success with something like this.
by drew.phillips » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:45 pm
Unfortunately there is no trivial way to get OpenVPN working on a computer for a single browser only.

I think one of the "simplest" of few solutions you will find is this Docker image openvpn-client-socks that initiates an OpenVPN connection and runs a SOCKS proxy routed through the VPN. Once running, you would configure Firefox to point to the SOCKS proxy run by the Docker system and then Firefox would be able to use the VPN without affecting other traffic on your computer.

The easiest thing I could suggest (if it were possible) would be running a virtual machine on your primary computer and connect to OpenVPN through the VM and use it's browser for surfing over the VPN. Your primary system would use your regular connection, while the virtual machine and it's browser would use the VPN.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
2 posts Page 1 of 1