Explain the new fiber modem/router please?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
20 posts Page 1 of 2
by ankh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 am
Can you post a reference for the setup for the device that will replace the Fusion modem/router?
I'm waiting on the installer, I'll ask him/her, but I'd rather have a readable reference.
by joeyyung911 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 am
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by ankh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:01 am
So we keep the same hardware device, the Pace 5268, when we switch from Fusion to fiber?
No need to worry about settings then.
by miken » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:47 am
The closest thing to a modem on Fiber would be the ONT, which is supplied for free with the service. https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Adtran_411

A router is still needed for firewall/NAT purposes, where the 5268AC would come into play. No changes to the settings, should just plug and play with the new setup. :)
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by ankh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:21 pm
Nope. That's not what we got. What's the source you're relying on?

Sonic installed a gadget referred to as a "Residential Gateway" that provides wifi, four Ethernet ports and a phone jack. It replaces the old Pace hardware (or rather it will once we get the home Ethernet and telephone (Cat5e) wiring connected to it.
by miken » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:27 pm
You probably got a SmartRG (https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/SmartRG_SR515ac). It's a newer product, although similar specifications, ports, etc.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by ankh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:35 pm
OK. I guess I ask Support to configure it to match our old Pace, then swap it in.
by ankh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:29 pm
The connection from fiber via wifi is pretty weak with the gateway device (SR515AC) located next to the ONT under the house in the crawlspace:
Your download speed is 8.65 Mbps
Your upload speed is 2.11 Mbps

Drilled a hole in the floor and moved the Gateway thing up into the living space.

Hmmm.
Latency Test Error

Could not connect to the test server. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.
by ankh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:30 pm
The old bonded Fusion connection is still working fine though.
by ankh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 pm
Support said the older Pace has a somewhat stronger wifi radio and should work with the new fiber connection, just connect it up -- but no joy after connecting the ONT to port labeled for ONT on the older Pace device.
Power cycled everything but nothin' happening.

Back on the bonded fusion connection now.
20 posts Page 1 of 2